The Lowell Sun began as a weekly newspaper in 1878, and became a daily newspaper in 1898. It has been the only daily newspaper serving Lowell, Massachusetts, since 1941, and the only Sunday paper serving the area since 1952.
The paper was founded by two brothers, John and Daniel Harrington, and was owned by the Harringtons and their descendants until MediaNews Group purchased it in 1997. In 2011, the paper had a daily circulation of approximately 43,000; the Sunday supplement had a slightly higher circulation of around 44,000. The paper's actual name is The Sun, but it's called The Lowell Sun to distinguish it from other famous newspapers with the same name.