The first local ABC affiliate channel was WPVI-TV Channel 6 of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. This television station originally had the call-sign WFIL-TV and became the first affiliate of the American Broadcasting Company in April 1948. WFIL-TV was originally owned by Triangle Publications, publisher of The Philadelphia Inquirer.
WFIL-TV was purchased from Triangle Publications by Capital Cities Communications in April 1971 and the station's call-sign was changed to WPVI-TV. In 1986, Capital Cities Communications purchased ABC to create Capital Cities/ABC, Inc. This merger made WPVI-TV an actual owned and operated station of the ABC Network. As of 2015, ABC and WPVI-TV are owned by the Walt-Disney Company. WPVI-TV broadcast programming is available to over 8-million people in the southeastern Pennsylvania region, Delaware and southern New Jersey.