The Starlight Theatre in Kansas City opened on June 4, 1950, with a historical revue entitled "Thrills of a Century." The Starlight staged its first Broadway show, a performance of "The Desert Song," on June 25, 1951.
Voters approved a bond issue to fund the Starlight Theatre in 1947. The city commissioned a design by architect Edward Delk, then began construction in December 1949. The venue was still unfinished in 1950, but enough of the structure was finished to host "Thrills of a Century" as part of the city's centennial celebration. Workers completed the Starlight in time for the 1951 season. The venue continues to host open-air Broadway shows as of 2015.