Henry David Thoreau was born in Concord, Massachusetts. Thoreau had two older siblings and one younger sibling.
More Interesting Facts
- Thoreau attended Harvard University.
- His father ran a pencil factor and his mom rented out rooms in the family home to boarders.
- He studied Greek, German, and Latin.
- He befriended Ralph Waldo Emerson who became his mentor.
- After graduating from Harvard, he took over the Concord Academy until the death of his brother.
- In the early 1840s, Thoreau moved in with Ralph Waldo Emerson and began babysitting his children.
- In 1842, Henry's brother John Jr, contracted tetanus from shaving. He died in Henry's arms.
- In 1848, he spend the night in jail after refusing to pay toll taxes.
- After the Fugitive Slave Law was passed in the 1850s, he hid slaves in his home to defy the new law.