The Pittsburgh Tribune Review was originally founded in August 1811 as the Greensburg Gazette. In 1889, the Gazette merged with several other newspapers to form the Greensburg Daily Tribune. In 1924, the Daily Tribune came under the same ownership as the Greensburg Morning Review, and in 1955 the two publications merged to form the Greensburg Tribune Review.
Richard Mellon Scaife purchased the Tribune Review in 1970. In accordance with Scaife's personal politics, the publication tended to favor conservatism.
Scaife initially retained the Greensburg Tribune Review name, but in May 1992, he changed the newspaper's name to the Pittsburgh Tribune Review following an expansion of the paper's circulation. Previously, the Tribune Review had been circulated throughout Pittsburgh's eastern suburban areas. When the two publications that served metropolitan Pittsburgh went on strike in 1992, however, Scaife took the opportunity to expand the Tribune Review's circulation into the city.
Throughout the 1990s, Scaife continued to expand the Tribune Review by acquiring additional small newspapers such as The Daily Courier of Connellsville, the Leader Times of Kittanning, and The Valley Independent of Monessen.
As of 2015, the Pittsburgh Tribune Review is the second largest publication in terms of circulation for the metropolitan area of Pittsburgh. It provides newspapers to nearly 200,000 Pennsylvanians a day.