The Detroit Free Press was Michigan's first daily paper. Its founder, Sheldon McKnight, first published it as the Detroit Free Press and Michigan Intelligencer in 1831. In 1835, it became the Detroit Free Press and began appearing daily.
The Detroit Free Press relied on the telegraph in the 1850s to expand its news from local to national events. It became the first newspaper in the nation to regularly publish on Sunday. Reporters from the paper went to battlefields to cover the Civil War.
In 1878 it became the first American paper to include a section specifically for women. In 1881 the Detroit Free Press began publishing a London edition. It was the first American newspaper to publish in Europe.
In 1940, Knight Newspapers bought the Detroit Free Press. In 2005, the Gannett company purchased the newspaper. The Detroit Free Press is Gannett's largest city paper. In 2009, the newspaper began co-producing a morning news show with WWJ, a CBS affiliate.
The "Detroit Free Press" has won 10 Pulitzer Prizes. It received its first in 1932. The newspaper has also earned four Emmy Awards. Well-known writers and editors who worked for the newspaper include Mitch Albom, Frank Bruni, Ellen Goodman and Al Neuharth.