WINY first signed on the air on May 1, 1953 under the call letters WPCT. The station was founded by three French Canadian businessmen from Central Falls, Rhode Island named Goyette, Lanthier, and Cote. The call letters were changed to WINY in September 1960 when the station was purchased by the Herbert C. Rice family and the Winny Broadcasting Company. The call letters were changed to represent the station's new mascot, "Winny, The Community Gal," who was a counterpart to the mascot at sister station WILI (AM), "Willie, The Community Man." The family combined the operations of the two stations into Nutmeg Broadcasting Company. The station changed hands again in 1981 to the Gerardi Broadcasting Corporation, and once more in 2001 to the current owners, the Osbrey Broadcasting Company.
WINY produces its own programming between 06:00-18:00. Programming from 18:00-6:00 is provided by the Jones Radio Networks.