From the existing records we can say that the Dutch left Yanam before 1725. Some 25 km North they used to have a Colony at Jagannadhapuram (Dutch Jaggernaikpoeram, English Jagannaickpore), now in Kakinada between (1734–1795) and (1818-1825).
Actually it was seized again by Dupleix in 1731 during the time of Pierre Benoît Dumas the then Governor General of French Establishments of India. A firman from Haji Hassan Khan, Nawab of Masulipatam authorized the French Representative Fouquet, then chief of the Company at Machilipatnam to set up a loge at Yanam in the year 1731. Nawab Roustoum khan granted a paravana dated 1735 for French commerce in Yanam. But it was re-established completely in 1742 during the reign of Mughal emperor Muhammad Shah. After 1742 political motives began to overshadow the desire for commercial gain. All factories were fortified for the purpose of defence. Mr. De Choisis administered it. He died here on 27 October 1747. Monsieur Sinfray succeeded him. The annual rent was waived off by a document in 1743 for Yanam. Mir Ahmad Ali Khan, Nawab of Arcot, granted all the rights on the lands situated before the quarters at Yanam in 1747. Unfortunately necessary details are not available for this period i.e. from 1723 to 1750. Muzaffar Jang, Nawab Subedar of the Deccan (1750–1751), confirmed the sovereignty of this territory in 31 December 1750 to the French.
Salabat Jang, the son of the Nizam al Mulk, who was indebted for his elevation to the throne to the French East India Company, granted the district of Kondavid to the French in return for their services, and soon afterwards the other Circars. A firman' was issued by the Mughal emperor, confirming all the concessions made to the French by Salabat Jang, the Subedar of Deccan. These concessions were in the shape of the donations and the name `Inam'(Gift) was changed into Yanam (Yanaon) by the French in the course of time. In December 1753, a paravana of Salabat Jang, Subedar of Deccan conceded to Bussy the paraganas of Chicacole, Ellore, Rajahmundry and Mustafanagar. with an annual revenue RS.2, 00,000 for the maintenance of the French troops in the Subah in recognition of the help of these Circars amounted up to 10 lakhs of Rupees per year. Bussy helped Salabat Jang to be the Subedar of Deccan. The agreement made between the French and Salabat Jang in Aurangabad bears the signature of Said Loukshur, Minister of Salabat Jang. Yanam acquired considerable importance during the occupation of the Northern Circars by the French.
There is again a dearth of information regarding this place from 1753 to 1765. Another important event in the history was the war between the French and the English fought at Chandurthi in 1758 in which the French were defeated. Salabat Jang made a treaty with British and gave the Northern Circars under a firman to the English. Later Nizam rebelled against the English. A second treaty was the result of war and Northern Circars remained permanently under the control of the British. After 1760 the French lost hold in South India, especially on Northern Circars. In 1765 Lord Robert Clive, the then existing Chief and Council at Vizagapatam obtained from the Mughal emperor Shah Alam a grant of the five Circars.
A document dated 15 May, 1765 showed that the villages of Yanam and Kapulapalem (Capouloupalém) with other lands were handed over by Jean white hill and George Dolben, the Englishmen deputed by Mr. Jean Pybus, the head of the English settlement in Masulipatam to Mr. Yoan Yacques Panon, French Commissioner deputed by Jean Law de Lauriston the then Governor General of Pondicherry, for taking them over. This document mentions that France entered into possession of Yanam and its dependent territories with exemption from all export and import duties. Soon after taking possession of this settlement, Mr. Panon obtained a firman from the ruler of Rajahmundry granting the French full liberty of trade at Yanam and another one from the Nawab Mir Nizam Ali Khan Bahadur (Asaf Jah II) calling upon the Zamindars of the Circar Mustafanagar not to hinder the commerce of the French.
After transfer of Northern Circars to the English, Yanam came under the province of Peddapuram in the jurisdiction of Sri Raja Vatsavaya Kala Thimma Jagapathi Bahadhoor (Timma Raja). The French had a modest building in Yanam situated a league from the sea, on the Coringa river into which small vessels could enter.
Jean Law de Lauriston, Governor of Pondicherry (1765–1766) stated in his "Memoire of 1767" as “It is from Yanam that we get our best ‘Guinness’ (fine cloth). It is possible to have a commerce here worth more than a million livres per year under circumstances more favorable than those in which we are placed now, but always by giving advances much earlier, which we have never been in a position to do. From this place we also procured teakwood, oils, rice and other grains both for the men as well as for the animals. A port from commerce, Yanam enjoyed another kind of importance. The advantages which may be derived in a time of war from the alliances that we the French may conclude with several Rajas who sooner or later cannot fail to be dissatisfied with the English. Although the English gained an effective control over the Circars, Yanam enabled the French to enter into secret relations with the local chieftains. Yanam had some commercial importance”.
It was a centre for the production of salt and this salt constituted the major part of the quantity imported by the French into Bengal region. It was also an important center of cotton goods and supplied a large part of the return cargo of the French ships visiting India. A few French citizens in Yanam were fully occupied by these two kinds of profitable business and they had no interest in political and administrative matters that were left entirely to the chief or commandant. Indian residents wanted nothing better than to be left in peace to carry on their trading activities.
After Bluter, Mr. Pierre Sonnerat became the chief in 1790 in Yanam. He was a scholar and writer. He had a profound interest in Natural Sciences. He wrote a book "VOYAGE AUX INDES ORIENTALES ET À LA CHINE” in 3 volumes. He appreciated very much the sonority and the music of the Telugu language. He administered Yanam during the time of the French Revolution.
Mr. Pierre Sonnerat, Chief of Yanam, was involved in this business along with other traders. His commercial involvement brought serious consequences to his administrative post. The petitions were made against him in this connection, to the Chevalier de Fresne the then French Governor in Pondicherry. On 5 June 1790 a Frenchman called De Mars complained about him for the first time. By that time, Pondicherry under the influence of the French Revolution had already formed the first representative committee. But no action was taken in favor of De Mars either by the Governor or by this committee. Naturally, the French citizens in Yanam were disinterested in the affairs of Pondicherry owing to his failure.
Thus a colonial government was formed in 1840. According to Annuaire statistique des établissements français dans l'Inde- 1843 by Pierre-Constant Sicé, the details of colonial government in 1843 were,
Notable assembly representatives from Yanam were Kamichetty Venougopalarao Naidou, Kamichetty Savithiry, Kamichetty Sri Parassourama Varaprassada Rao Naidu and Kanakala Tatayya Naidou.
Though the French established colonies in India in seventeenth century itself, it was not until during the end of 19th century they started civil administration in French India.
Municipal elections were held in Pondicherry, Karikal and Yanam on 24 October 1948. The two main parties were the French India Socialist Party (Socialists), who favoured the continuance of French rule, and the French India Congress (Congress), who favoured union with India. Socialist Party was headed by Kamichetty Sri Parassourama Varaprassada Rao Naidu, a strong pro-French leader and later MLA of Yanam. and Congress Party was headed by Yerra Jaganatha Rao. Among the Independents was Madimchetty Satianandam who later elected as mayor and performed a key role in merging of Yanam in India.
Notable Municipal Councillors were, Bezawada Bapa Naidou, Diwan Bouloussou Soubramaniam Sastroulou, Kamichetty Venougopala Rao Naidou, Samatam Krishnayya, Madimchetty Satianandam, Kamichetty Savithiry and Kamichetty Sri Parassourama Varaprassada Rao Naidu.
Dadala was also appointed as Acting Commisoner for Yanam for 14 Days. Towards the end of June 1954, Sri Kewal singh paid a visit to Yanam and requested Dadala's return to Pondicherry to continue his activities there. On 3 July, on Kewal Singh’s request, Dadala left Yanam, after making all arrangements for its proper administration.
The Prime Minister, Jawaharlal Nehru had visited Pondicherry on 16 January 1955. Messrs Edouard Goubert, S. Perumal , Dadala and Sri Pakirisamy Pillai presented addresses to Pandit Nehru in a public meeting in the maidan of Gorimedu.
|Colony||Liberation||de-facto transfer||Treaty of Cession||de-jure transfer||Merger|
|Pondichéry||-||1 November 1954||28 May 1956||16 August 1963||1 July 1963|
|Chandernagore||-||26 June 1949||28 February 1951||9 June 1952||1 October 1954|
|Karikal||-||1 November 1954||28 May 1956||16 August 1963||1 July 1963|
|Mahé||16 June 1954||1 November 1954||28 May 1956||16 August 1963||1 July 1963|
|Yanaon||13 June 1954||1 November 1954||28 May 1956||16 August 1963||1 July 1963|