The kibbutz was established in 1950 by a gar'in group of Habonim Dror members and was named in honour of Hannah Szenes. In 1953, as a result of the split in Mapam (with which the kibbutz members were affiliated), most of the kibbutz members defected to Maki. However, 120 members who disagreed with this left the kibbutz to found a new one nearby by the name of Yad Hana Senesh (which was disbanded in 1972). As a result, the kibbutz became known as the "only communist kibbutz." Today the kibbutz is a member of the Kibbutz Movement, and is no longer regarded as being communist.