is a census-designated place
(CDP) in Cheltenham Township
, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania
, United States
. The population was 3,046 at the 2000 census.
Wyncote is located at (40.092777, -75.142559).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 0.8 square miles (2.1 km²), all of it land.
As of the census
of 2000, there were 3,046 people, 1,057 households, and 713 families residing in the CDP. The population density
was 3,732.5 people per square mile (1,434.2/km²). There were 1,069 housing units at an average density of 1,309.9/sq mi (503.3/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 89.82% White
, 7.98% African American
, 0.07% Native American
, 1.25% Asian
, 0.10% Pacific Islander
, 0.26% from other races
, and 0.53% from two or more races. Hispanic
of any race were 0.79% of the population.
There were 1,057 households out of which 30.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 59.0% were married couples living together, 7.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.5% were non-families. 29.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 21.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.48 and the average family size was 3.08.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 20.3% under the age of 18, 4.8% from 18 to 24, 19.5% from 25 to 44, 23.5% from 45 to 64, and 32.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 49 years. For every 100 females there were 75.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 69.9 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $77,043, and the median income for a family was $91,217. Males had a median income of $60,592 versus $41,458 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $32,340. None of the families and 2.2% of the population were living below the poverty line, including no under eighteens and 4.9% of those over 64.
Notable natives and residents
The Wyncote Historic District has a number of restored Victorian
era homes. The All Hallows Church (constructed 1896-1897) was designed by a firm founded by Philadelphia architect Frank Furness
(Furness, Evans and Company).
Points of interest