Woodford,_New_South_Wales

Woodford, New South Wales

Woodford is a village in the Blue Mountains in New South Wales, Australia, approximately 90 kilometres west of Sydney (Elevation: 609 metres). It is situated on the Great Western Highway and has a station (opened in 1868 as Buss's Platform) on the Main Western railway line served by CityRail's Blue Mountains services.

History and Description

The site was originally known as Twenty Mile Hollow. In the 1830s an inn called The Woodman was built there. Ten years later the inn became known as the King's Arms, later popularly known as Buss's Inn after 1855. Sydney businessman Alfred Fairfax converted the building into a private home some time later and renamed it Woodford House. The railway station adopted the name Woodford in 1871. Woodford House later became Woodford Academy, a private boys' school and is now a heritage listed building.

In 2001, the population of Woodford and adjoining Linden was 2,317 (Census 2001).

Woodford is well known to mountain bike riders and walkers as the start point for the famous Oaks and St Helena tracks. It is also the finish point for Anderson's and Ingar fire trails, also popular with mountain bike riders and walkers. Each June or July, Careflight (helicopter rescue service) raises money by conducting the Woodford to Glenbrook Classic, a cycling and running race from Woodford railway station to Euroka picnic area at Glenbrook in the Blue Mountains National Park. The Classic follows the Oaks and Bennett's Ridge fire trails, and is 25 km in length.

The area also presents opportunities for bushwalking and photography in places like Wilson Glen (on the south side) and Mabel Falls Reserve (on the north side).

References

Search another word or see Woodford,_New_South_Waleson Dictionary | Thesaurus |Spanish
Copyright © 2014 Dictionary.com, LLC. All rights reserved.
  • Please Login or Sign Up to use the Recent Searches feature