Woman's Journal was founded in 1870 in Boston, Massachusetts by Lucy Stone and Henry B. Blackwell as a weekly newspaper. The new paper incorporated Mary A. Livermore's The Agitator, as well as a lesser known periodical called the Woman's Advocate.
The first issue was published on January 8, on the two-year anniversary of the first issue of Susan B. Anthony's The Revolution. Stone and Blackwell served as editors, with assistance from Livermore. Julia Ward Howe edited from 1872-1879. Alice Stone Blackwell, began editing in 1883, and took over as sole editor after her father's death in 1909. Contributing editors included Mary Johnston, Stephen S. Wise, Zona Gale, Florence Kelley, Witter Bynner, Ben B. Lindsey and Caroline Bartlett Crane. William Lloyd Garrison was a frequent contributor.
In 1910, Woman's Journal absorbed Progress, the official organ of the National American Woman Suffrage Association (NAWSA). Until 1912, it served in that capacity, at which point it was renamed Woman's Journal and Suffrage News. By 1915, circulation had reached 27,634, up from 2,328 in 1909.
In 1917, Woman's Journal was purchased by Carrie Chapman Catt's Leslie Woman Suffrage Commission for $50,000 , and merged with The Woman Voter, the official journal of the Woman Suffrage Party of New York City, and NAWSA's National Suffrage News to became known as Woman Citizen. It served as NAWSA's official organ until 1920, when NAWSA was reformed as the League of Women Voters according to the ratification of the Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution, which granted women the right to vote.
Publication of Woman Citizen slowed from weekly, to bi-weekly, to monthly. In 1927, it was renamed The Woman's Journal. It ceased publication in June 1931.