At the beginning of the 19th century the area was just rough heathland, with just a track linking ancient Moordown Village to Horseshoe Common. In 1805 this all changed when a new main road through Winton was put in and named Muscliff Road (today it is known as Wimborne Road).
Around 1850 wealthy Scottish philanthropists Georgina and Marianne Talbot saw the plight of local workers and set about trying to improve their lives by purchasing land along the road and building four artisan cottages and sinking wells to provide fresh water.
By 1891 the population of Winton had reached 4,000 and by 1894 the needs of Winton were so great that they were put under the care of the Winton Parish Council and later in 1897 Winton Urban District Council was formed. In 1901 Bournemouth (which was by then a county borough) increased its boundaries to include Winton and other districts.
The idea of creating a public recreation facility for Winton was first envisaged in 1902. The Earl of Malmesbury gave nearly six hectares of suitable land to Bournemouth Borough Council in 1904. The official opening of Winton Recreation Ground took place in September 1906.
The facilities available at the ground include Richmond Park Bowls Club, tennis courts, cycle track, childrens playground, playgroups play building and a cricket pitch.
The cricket pavilion is over 90 years old and it was extended in 1962 and refurbished in 1999.
This busy road junction in Winton is called Winton Banks thanks to the many banks that surround this junction.
The far right of the picture is the corner where the Continental Cinema once stood. Opened in 1911 it started life as the Winton Hall and was renamed Winton Electric Picture House the following year.In 1930 it was modernized and renamed Plaza, becoming the first cinema in Bournemouth to show talking pictures. After the war years it was again refurbished and renamed the Continental. In 1978 it changed hands but the cinema took a downturn in the 1980's due to lack of maintenance and it ended its life in 1989 when it was demolished.
Winton library was opened in 1907 and became Bournemouth's first permanent purpose-built library. It was built on land provided by landowner Lord Leven with financial support from Scottish-American philanthropist Andrew Carnegie.
The library has undergone a number of refurbishments during its lifetime, the most recent in 2006 when a computer suite was added.
Winton is also a popular area for students of Bournemouth University to live in, given its local amenities, bus connections to the town centre and proximity to Talbot Campus, the university's main site.
Talbot Village School erected with room for 68 pupils.
Winton gets its own police station. It is established in a building built ten years earlier known as Hamilton towers.