is a small village
in the county of Rutland
in the East Midlands
The 17th-century houses in Wing were built from stone quarried at nearby Barnack
. Many are roofed with stone slates from nearby Collyweston
The church, dedicated to Saint Peter and Saint Paul, was much rebuilt in 1875, at which time the spire was removed. Some parts of the building date from Norman times, including the south arcade of about 1150, the slightly later north arcade and the north doorway.
Its name first occurs as Wenge
in the twelfth century, and probably came from Old Norse vengi
The circular "turf maze
" (actually a unicursal labyrinth
, roughly 40 ft in diameter), which was cut from the turf of the village green
, is said to date back to medieval
times, based on the fact that its design is similar to the pavement maze
in Chartres cathedral
and other medieval examples.
A treatment plant just outside the village treats water extracted from Rutland Water reservoir
a few miles to the north. Proposals by Anglian Water
to extend the works, and increase the volume of drinking water extracted from the lake, were strongly opposed by the RSPB
on the grounds that fluctuating water levels could potentially damage wildfowl habitats
around the lake.
- The King's Arms
- The Cuckoo Inn, which closed in 2004. Its name alluded to a local legend that the people of Wing once tried to keep spring in the village forever by erecting a fence around a cuckoo to stop it from leaving. Naturally, it flew over the fence and away. As a result, people from the village were known as "Wing Fools". This is actually a widespread story, the best-known version probably being one of the adventures of the Wise Men of Gotham.
Buildings and structures
Bird's eye view