Poquonock is a northern area of Windsor that has its own zip code (06064) for PO Box purposes. Other areas in Windsor, which are not incorporated, include Rainbow and Hayden in the north, and Wilson and Deerfield in the south.
The Day Hill Road area is know as Windsor's Corporate Area, although other centers of business include Kennedy Industry Park and Kennedy Business Park, both near Bradley International Airport and the Addison Road Industrial Park.
A small party of settlers from Plymouth, Massachusetts, founded a trading post at Windsor after the Podunk Indians invited them to provide a mediating force between other tribes, and granted them a plot of land. After Edward Winslow from Plymouth inspected the site, William Holmes led a small party there. This initial group arrived at Windsor on September 26, 1633, settling at the confluence of the Farmington and the west side of the Connecticut Rivers. They were about 50 miles up river at the end of ship navigable waters and above the Dutch fort at Hartford. They were in a good position to trade with the Indians before the Dutch. More settlers arrived in 1635 led by the Revs Maverick and Warham with about 60 people who trekked overland from Dorchester, Massachusetts where they had first settled after coming on the ship "Mary and John" to the New World from Plymouth, England in 1630. More settlers from Dorchester moved to Windsor in the next few years. Out numbering the original settlers they soon displaced the original Plymouth settlers, who mostly returned to Plymouth.
Native Americans referred to the area as Matianuck. (book- "Dorset Pilgrims" by Frank Thistlewaite) Reverend Warham renamed the settlement Dorechester in 1635. In 1637, the colony's General Court changed the name to Windsor.
Windsor's name is believed to be named after the city of Windsor England on the Thames River. Windsor is believed to be a corruption of the Saxon words 'windlass Oran' meaning a bank of a river with a windlass. The name of Windsor derives from Windlesore, or 'Winding Shores' where boats were pulled by windlass ('windles') up the river. As with all such names that date back many centuries, there are other claims as to the derivation of the name. It has also been thought that the name derived from 'winding' meaning 'meandering' shores. A third school of thought stemmed from the belief that the name derived from 'a sore wind' referring to the wind that blew across the mound upon which Windsor Castle, England was built but this fails on chronological grounds.
Several towns that border Windsor were once entirely or partially part of Windsor including: Windsor Locks; South Windsor; East Windsor; Ellington, (which was later part of East Windsor); and Bloomfield, (originally called "Wintonbury"; a composite of the town names Windsor, Farmington and Simsbury).
The first "highway" in Connecticut opened in 1638 between Windsor and Hartford. As other towns were settled further up the Connecticut river like Springfield, Massachusetts and Northampton, Massachusetts trading routes were extended to all of them. Hartford & Springfield Street Railway connected with the Conn. Co. in Windsor Center until 1925. Buses replaced trolleys between Rainbow (a northern section of Windsor) and Windsor Center in 1930; cars continued to run from Windsor to Hartford until 1940.
These original Windsor settlers have many descendants around the country and beyond. Many are members of The Descendants of the Founders of Ancient Windsor (DFAW) based in the Windsor area.
Across the street on the Palisado green stands a statue of John Mason (a founder of Windsor and colonial leader in the Pequot War).
Further down the road is the home of Oliver Ellsworth, second Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court.
The town center is well-planned in comparison to many of the others in the Greater Hartford area, including a relative diversity of chains and local shops, as well as a recently restored Amtrak station that dates to the 1850s.
Tobacco farming in Connecticut has a long and illustrious history. When the first settlers came to the valley in the 1630s, tobacco was already being grown by the native population. By 1700, tobacco was being exported via the Connecticut River to European ports. The use of Connecticut tobacco as a cigar wrapper leaf began in the 1820s. By the 1830s, tobacco farmers were experimenting with different seeds and processing techniques.
Area farmers grew tobacco for the two outside layers of cigars, the binder and the wrapper. A tobacco leaf type named Shoestring, then Broadleaf and Havana Seed were used. In the late 1800s a fine grained leaf type imported from Sumatra began to replace the wrapper from the Connecticut River valley. The tobacco farmers matched the Sumatran leaf by making shade tents of cloth to cut sunlight and raise humidity. The first tent was raised in 1900 on River Street in Windsor. Windsor tobacco leaves are highly prized by fine cigar makers, and are used as the cigar's outer wrapping. The former president of U.S. operations for Davidoff, a Swiss maker of luxury goods company including premium Cuban cigars, praised Connecticut shade tobacco as "A nice Connecticut wrapper" and "…very silky, very fine. From a marketing point of view, it is considered at the moment to be one of the best tasting and looking wrappers available" in a Cigar Aficionado article on why the world's best cigars use Connecticut tobacco wrapper leaves.
The technique of growing shade tobacco has changed little in the past hundred years. To form the shade tents, a tobacco field is set with posts in a grid layout. Wires are stretched from post to post, and a light, durable fabric (once cotton but now a synthetic fiber) is tied across them and draped along the sides. For example, twenty posts in four rows of five will create twelve square cells in three rows of four. Two guy-wires hold up Under the tents the sunlight is soft and diffused the air is humid and the ambient temperature is slightly warmer than outside. Filtering the sun produces a thinner and more elastic tobacco leaf that cures to a lighter, even color.
At its height, there was greater than 15,000 acres of tobacco being cultivated under shade in the Connecticut River valley. Currently, the amount of tobacco being grown in the valley is just over a steady 2,000 acres. Approximately 34,000 acres (140 km²) of land in Connecticut is covered by Windsor Soil, named after the town.
While much of the Day Hill Road section of town has been given over to industry, the long red wooden sheds that are used to store and dry the tobacco are still noticeable. The Connecticut Valley Tobacco Museum containing authentic farming implements and tools can be found at Northwest Park located in Windsor.
Windsor's highest point is on Day Hill at 230 feet (70 m).
Windsor's lowest point is at the Connecticut River shore at 5 feet (2 m). The Connecticut River defines Windsor's east border. The city of Hartford, the Capital of Connecticut, is adjacent to Windsor to the south. The town of Windsor Locks, home of Bradley International Airport, is adjacent to Windsor to the north. Prior to its incorporation in 1854, it was known as the Pine Meadow section of Windsor. The towns of East Windsor and South Windsor are on east side of the Connecticut River, which defines Windsor's eastern border. The town of Bloomfield is to the west. The town of East Granby is to the northwest.
Windsor is two towns, approximately 20 minutes, south from Massachusetts.
The Farmington River joins the Connecticut River in Windsor. The Farmington River is dammed in the northwest corner of Windsor to form the 234 acre Rainbow Reservoir.
Population density was 368.0/km² (953.0/sq mi).
In the town the population was spread out with
24.6% under the age of 18,
5.9% from 18 to 24,
28.7% from 25 to 44,
26.2% from 45 to 64, and
14.5% who were 65 years of age or older.
The median age was 40 years.
For every 100 females, there were 89.7 males.
For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 85.5 males. 7,604 families residing in the town.
10,900 housing units at an average density of 367.9/sq mi (142.0/km²). 10,577 households out of which
32.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them,
55.7% were married couples living together,
13.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and
28.1% were non-families.
23.2% of all households were made up of individuals and
8.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older.
The average household size was 2.61 and the average family size was 3.10.
Median income for a household in the town was $64,137, and
the median income for a family was $73,064.
Males had a median income of $45,443 versus $37,476 for females.
Windsor was one of a handfull of towns in the country where, in the United States Census, 2000,
median income for black households ($64,159)
was larger than white households ($63,624).
Asian households had a median income of $75,716.
Hispanic or Latino (of any race) households has a median income of $69,808.
The per capita income for the town was $27,633.
About 2.2% of families and 3.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including
4.3% of those under age 18 and
5.5% of those age 65 or over.
Racial makeup of the town was
African American 27.09%,
Native American 0.16%,
Pacific Islander 0.03%,
other races 2.09%, and
2.38% from two or more races.
Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.98% of the population.
Windsor High School has 1471 students enrolled and demographics for 2004-2005 were:
Asian 3.8%, and
Native American 0.1%.
|Voter Registration and Party Enrollment as of October 25, 2005|
|Party||Active Voters||Inactive Voters||Total Voters||Percentage of Population||Democratic||7,295||329||7,624||26.5%||Republican||3,046||146||3,192||11.1%||Unaffiliated||7,980||429||8,409||29.2%||Minor Parties||12||1||13||0.5%|