|Name = Welcome to the Dollhouse
|Type = Album
|Artist = Danity Kane
|Cover = Welcome-to-the-dollhouse.png
|Released = March 18
, 2008 March 18
, 2008 March 25
, 2008 April 21
, 2008 May 9
, 2008 September 13
|Recorded = 2007-2008
|Genre = Urban pop
, pop rap
|Producer = The Clutch
, Bryan Michael Cox
, Fridolin Nordsoe, Danja
, Donnie Scantz
, Drop Zone, Bernard Malik, Rockwilder
, Romeo XI, Flex&Hated
, The Runners
, Scyience, Stereotypes
, Mario Winans
|Label = Bad Boy
| Length= 48:40
| Reviews =
|Last album = Danity Kane
|This album = Welcome to the Dollhouse
|Next album = TBD
Welcome to the Dollhouse is the second studio album by American R&B/Pop group Danity Kane, released by Bad Boy and Atlantic Records on March 18, 2008 (see 2008 in music) in the United States and March 25 in Canada. Danity Kane recorded the album in under five weeks, while filming the second season of Making the Band 4 with fellow label mates Day26 and Donnie Klang in Miami, Florida. It became the group's second consecutive album to debut at number-one on the Billboard 200 chart. The album also has been certified gold stateside.
For this album, all of the girls had written and/or produced some kind of song, that they thought was suitable for their second effort. As mentioned in interviews, Danity Kane has stated that they came up with the name of the album when they all had brought in their own material into the studio to see which tracks would make the cut. They also expressed, that it felt as if they were in a music box, hence getting the name, Welcome to the Dollhouse
. Each of the girls, also, were given chances to write, co-write, and co-produce a handful of the tracks that are on the record. Producers at Bad Boy and Atlantic Records wanted the group's second album to have a more of a "ballad effect" to it , sending the examples of songs to be influenced by , such as Rihanna's
"Question Existing", but said they weren't feeling it and said it didn't fit them in the fifth episode of Making the Band 4
In February 2008, Bad Boy and Atlantic Records released a "sampler" which contained snippets of both Danity Kane's and Day26's upcoming albums. It featured an intro from CEO of Bad Boy, Sean Combs and also an outro to the single "Damaged".
The girls released the final product on March 18, 2008, which they consider their "baby" as they have written, co-written, and/or co-produced six songs on the album in total.
Welcome to the Dollhouse
debuted on top of the U.S. Billboard 200
, with first week sales of 236,000 copies making it the band's second consecutive number-one album. To date, 'Welcome to the Dollhouse' is the thirteenth best album debut of the year. With the first week sales announced and certification of having the number one album, Danity Kane is the first female group in Billboard
history to have both their debut and sophomore albums enter the main charts at number-one. Less than a month after its release, "Welcome to the Dollhouse" has been certified Gold by the RIAA
as of April 22
. As of September 28
, 2008, the album has sold over 546,790 copies in the U.S.
's weekly release of it's popular Top 200 Albums known as the Billboard Top 200
saw the album's biggest gain in sales for the magazine of October 11
, 2008. The album moved from position #199 to #139.
- The album's first single, "Damaged", was chosen through an online fan poll. In January of 2008, Danity Kane had posted a bulletin on their respective MySpace page expressing that they were giving their fans the chance to choose their newest single. Fans were given two choices, "Damaged" and "Pretty Boy". Of the two choices, "Damaged" dominated the poll by a vast majority, and thus, became the first single from Welcome to the Dollhouse. The single "Damaged" debuted on the Billboard Hot 100 Singles chart at number 64, and in its second week it shot up to number 27. It is Danity Kane's most successful single to date with over 1.7 million digital download sales according to Nielsen Soundscan.
- The second single is "Bad Girl" with Erik White as the music video's director. Danity Kane confirmed that Bad Girl is the official second single on a recent interview for kiwibox.com. The video featured cameos from Missy Elliot, Q from fellow Bad Boy band Day26, and Talan Torriero of Laguna Beach. The concept of the video is a Graphic Novel and stayed true to the line in the song "When the red light comes on I transform" as each member has an alter ego. ''.
||"Welcome to the Dollhouse" (featuring P. Diddy)
||Sean Combs, Antwan Thompson
||Sean "Diddy" Combs for The Hitmen, Antwan "Amadeus" Thompson
sucka for love>
||"Bad Girl" (featuring Missy Elliott)
||Tiffany Cris'Tene Washington,VincentCox, Nathanial Hills, Mary Brown, James Washington, Melissa Elliott
||Stereotypes,Co-produced by Sean Combs & Mario Winans for The Hitmen
||N. Hills, Candice Nelson,Balewa Muhammad, Ezekiel Lewis, J. Que
||N. Hills, J. Washington, Aubrey O'Day, D. Woods, Dawn Richard, Shannon Bex, Aundrea Fimbres
||"Sucka for Love"
|| B. Cox, K. Dean, C. Nelson, B. Muhammad, E. Lewis, J. Que
||Bryan Michael Cox, WyldCard, The Clutch
||"Secret Place (Interlude)"
||Aubrey O'Day, D. Woods, Dawn Richard, Shannon Bex, Aundrea Fimbres, B.Cox, Mario Winans,
||Mario Winans for The Hitmen
||"Ecstasy" (featuring Rick Ross)
||Tiffany Cris'Tene Washington, Andrew Harr, Jermaine Jackson, William Roberts
||"2 of You"
||B. Cox, K. Dean, Adonis Shropshire, Diana Gordon
||B. Cox, WyldCard
||Dawn Richard, Tiffany Cris'Tene Washington, S. Combs, M. Winans, N. Betz, C. Betz
||Sean "Diddy" Combs & Mario Winans for The Hitmen, Flex&Hated, Akeem Lee
||"Picture This (Interlude)"
||Aubrey O'Day, D. Woods, M. Winans
||Mario Winans for The Hitmen
||J. Hoe, T. Kumar, S. Combs, M. Winans*
||Malay for Ghet-O-Vision Ent., Sean "Diddy" Combs & Mario Winans for The Hitmen
||"Key to My Heart"
||Shanell Woodgette, Reggie Perry
||Romeo XI, D. Woods, Dawn Richard
||"Is Anybody Listening"
|| F. Nordsoe, N. Scarlett, S. Combs, M. Winans
||Fridolin Nordsoe, Sean "Diddy" Combs & Mario Winans for The Hitmen
||"Ain't Goin'" (Hidden Track) (featuring Day26, Donnie Klang)
||Lyanna Dean, D. Woods,Dawn Richard , Bernard Malik
||Bernard "Malik" Doss
||"Make Me Sick" (Target Bonus Track)(Track 16 on Target edition)
|| Anesha Birchett
||Rockwilder, Christopher Grayson, Khateeb Muhammad, from Dropzone
Unreleased / Leaked / Demoed / Passed Tracks
- She Can't Love You
- Aired on MTB4s2 after already recording slower ballads this song was introduced. Rumored that Danity Kane did want to keep the track
- The Chase
- Aired in MTB4s2 as the battle track. The concept was stemmed, by Dawn, from the sirens that can be heard throughout the track. Day 26's version was Danger. Neither group won the competition.)
- It's Yours
- Mixtape from Tapemasters Inc.
- Man Up
- Demoed to Danity Kane, performed by Ashley Makailah
|U.S. Billboard 200
|U.S. Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums
|United World Chart