WNEO and WEAO are operated from studio facilities in Kent, Ohio by Northeastern Educational Television of Ohio, which is a consortium of the University of Akron, Kent State University and Youngstown State University.
WEAO first began broadcasting in 1975. Licensed to Akron, Ohio, it broadcasts from a transmitter site in Copley, Ohio and provides the Cleveland area with a second PBS member station, alongside WVIZ. Previously, channel 49 had been the home of Akron's WAKR-TV from 1953 until 1967. WAKR-TV moved to Channel 23, and is now WVPX.
Although WNEO is considered the main station, its studios are located on the campus of Kent State, near Akron.
On October 1st, 2008 at 5:30 A.M., WNEO and WEAO changed on-screen branding to Western Reserve PBS, a part of the station's overall branding change to Western Reserve Public Media. The rebranding was done to make the station's identity better reflect the viewing area, and due to the fact that the combined WNEO/WEAO operations are broadcast on different cable channels.
|45.1 & 49.1 / 46.1 & 50.1||PBS HD national feed|
|45.2 & 49.2 / 46.2 & 50.2||WNEO/WEAO digital simulcast|
In addition, with WNEO moving its digital signal to its current analog channel 45, WNEO's analog signal will shut down in December 2008 (two months before the mandated shutdown) to prepare for the move. WEAO is expected to remain on the air in analog until the mandated shutdown.