is a region in the northwest of Rhineland-Palatinate, covering an area which goes from the Rhein between Andernach, and Koblenz to the area around Manderscheid. The municipalities of Adenau, Brohltal, Vordereifel, Mendig, Pellenz, Ulmen, and Manderscheid are parts of the Vulkaneifel too. The Vulkaneifel consists of the three regions Vulkanische Osteifel
(municipalities of Brohltal, Vordereifel, Mendig, Pellenz), Vulkanische Hocheifel
(municipalities of Adenau, Kelberg, Ulmen, and the village of Nohn), Vulkanische Westeifel
(remaining part of the municipality of Hillesheim, and municipalities Obere Kyll, Gerolstein, Manderscheid, Daun).
There are many places of sight, and interest within the Vulkaneifel, for example the volcanic lakes around Daun, and Manderscheid, as well as the volcanic lake at the abbey of Maria Laach, which is the largest, and the youngest within the region. It is recommended that travelers should explore the region, by using one of the miscellaneous hiking trails, or one of the cycling trails.
There are a few museums within the Vulkaneifel, i.e. the Lava-Dome (the German volcanic museum) in Mendig, the Vulkanhaus in Strohn, and the Eifel-Vulkanmuseum in Daun.
The Vulkaneifel consists of three geological parks (2004,45 km²), which are the Vulkanpark Brohltal/Laacher See, the Vulkanpark Osteifel, and the Vulkaneifel European Geopark.
Unfortunately, even that the Vulkaneifel is covering an area of many municipalities, there is not a tourism agency which is responsible for the whole Vulkaneifel region.
The Landkreis Vulkaneifel
The Landkreis Vulkaneifel is a district (Kreis
) in the north-west of Rhineland-Palatinate
. Neighboring districts are Euskirchen
History of the district
The district was created in 1815 when the Eifel area became part of Prussia
. As most of the local industries had their traditional markets in France
the district fell into a severe economic crisis. The construction of a railroad in the second half of the 19th century helped it to recover. The construction of the Nürburgring
in 1927 was also an infrastructural project to help the local economy. The district was enlarged significantly in 1970-71, when the districts Mayen and Prüm were dissolved and parts were added to the Daun district.
On January 1 2007 the district Daun was renamed to Vulkaneifel, the name of the landscape.
Geography of the district
The district is located in the Eifel
mountains. Most notable are the volcanic caldera lakes, called Maar
. The biggest river in the district is the Kyll.
Coat of arms of the district
| || The coat of arms show the symbols of three territories which historically made up the district. In the left is the cross of Trier, the lion in the right represents the Counts of Blankenheim-Gerolstein. The escutcheon in the middle show the arms of the Counts of Daun. |
Towns and municipalities of the district