The neighbourhood produces much silk, in which, as well as in corn and wine, an active trade is carried on.
Known in ancient times as Iria, it took its name from the river on which it was situated. It was on the road from Piacenza to Dertona, and was made a colony by Augustus (colonia Forum Iulium Iriensium).
In the 1st century CE it was destroyed by the Rugi, and it's next mentioned as Viqueria in the 10th century. After several lordships, it was acquired by the House of Savoy in 1743 with the Concordat of Worms. Five years later it became provincial capital.
In 1800 it was occupied by the troops of Napoleon, who set his headquarters in the Palazzo Dattili for the battle of Montebello. In 1805 it became part of the département of Genoa; after the French defeat in 1814, it was captured by the Austrians, who handed it over to the Piedmontese. In 1860 it was included in the province of Pavia.
Foster Wheeler Italiana, S.p.A. in Milan has been awarded a contract by Voghera Energia S.r.l. (Briefly Noted).(Brief Article)
Dec 01, 2002; Foster Wheeler Italiana, S.p.A. in Milan has been awarded a contract by Voghera Energia S.r.l., valued at approximately...
Maut S.p.A. (Voghera, Italy), the producer of large gantry-type machine tools, has finalized an agreement with Gross Machinery Group (Toronto, Ontario, Canada) for representation in North America.(Distribution News)
Jul 31, 2004; Maut S.p.A. (Voghera, Italy), the producer of large gantry-type machine tools, has finalized an agreement with Gross...