The temperature in summer reaches 44 degrees and drops to 0 degrees in the winter. The average is 26 degrees Celsius.
Villa Hayes is situated on the right bank of the Paraguay River, 31 km. north of Asunción City.
According to the 2002 census, Villa Hayes had a population of 19,001, being 10,071 men and 9,930 women. Of these 2,049 lived in the city and 16,592 in the rural area.
Among its habitants, there can be found people of different ethnicities: Native Americans, descendents of European, “menonitas” and Paraguayans.
The Native American tribes living in the city are the Nivaclé, Toba Mascoy, Angaiteçé, Guaná, Maká, Chamacoco and Toba Qom.
ACEPAR La Asociación Civil Enfermedad de Parkinson, Paraguay's principal steel manufacturer is based in Villa Hayes, however most of the habitants work in the cattle trade, and to a lesser extent in agriculture.
Villa Hayes has a museum where uniforms, weapons, photographs and other artefacts from the time of the Chaco War are on show. There is also a display of antique coins as well as animals of the region.
In times of war the Hospital de Sangre (Blood Hospital) stood in what is now the city’s Main Square. The city’s church and historic buildings are important tourist attractions.
The Festival del Acero (Steel’s Festival) is celebrated annually with many artistic presentations.
The Home Office and the Economics Faculty of the National University can be found only separated by one of the main streets of the city.
In the nearby countryside are hills, Galván and Confuso, as well as Patiño and the Natural Reserve Trinfunqué Park, which shelters many of the plants and animals typical of this Paraguayan region.
The Melodia Cultural Centre is based in a house built around 1870 for General Bartolomé. It is considered historically significant and is frequently visited by architecture students from all over the country. The Center includes a library, holds information classes and is an important promoter of local culture and education.
In its earliest origins known as “Amancio Cué”, in 1786 the city became the site of a Jesuit Mission founded by Father Juan Francisco Amancio González y Escobar with the name “Reducción Melodía” (Melody Mission) in honor of the Governor Pedro Melo.
It was re-established during the government of Carlos Antonio López and renamed “Nueva Burdeos” (New Burdeos) by 120 families of French colonists. However, it did not prosper and was founded again the next year as “Villa Occidental”. When Argentine soldiers occupied the city during the Guerra de la Triple Alianza (War of the Triple Alliance), they called it “Villa Argentina”.
Finally, the city was named “Villa Hayes”, in accordance with the decree signed by President Cándido Bareiro, on May 13, 1879. This was in honor of the United States President, Rutherford Hayes, who on November 13,1878, had been asked to arbitrate between Paraguay and Argentina after the War of the Triple Alliance. His award of the disputed Gran Chaco region to Paraguay made him a national hero.
The main access to the city is via the Road IX “Carlos Antonio López” or “Transchaco Road”. The principal public transport is the bus, numbers 46 and 5.