is an indie rock
band from the Washington, D.C.
area. It was one of Mark Robinson's
projects for what would eventually become the TeenBeat
label, also created by Mark while in high school. Developing from an experimental approach of never playing the same song twice, earlier material seemed to be influenced by everything from punk
to Ennio Morricone
. Original members Mark (guitar) and drummer Phil Krauth were joined by Bridget Cross on bass in 1990
and their sound evolved into a minimalist
but lively kind of pop
. The two full length albums released with this line up, 1992
's Imperial ffrr
's Perfect Teeth
(distributed by the influential British label 4AD Records
) featured finely crafted pop songs interspersed with strange avant-garde
percussive and sonic tracks (sometimes featuring nothing but white noise, beeps or sirens). EPs
released around the same time period reveal an even more pronounced gap between pop and experimental elements. The group broke up in 1994
with Phil pursuing a solo career and Mark and Bridget continued for a time as Air Miami
, which released two singles and one album, me me me
. Since Air Miami's demise in the mid '90s, Mark has continued to release various solo projects and run TeenBeat as well.
The band's original sound was jarring guitar post punk. After a few records, Robinson's love of pop music and layered textures began to erupt from the noise. By Kustom Karnal Blaxploitation, the band was mixing the two with a high degree of muscianship. When they finally threw in the towel, Unrest's sound would be almost unrecognizable from its first recordings. Despite their change in sound, they were able to retain their fan base.
- Unrest!, TeenBeat Records (TB02), (05/01/1985) CS
- Lisa Carol Freemont, TeenBeat Records (TB06), (08/29/1985) CS
- Untitled aka Tink of SE, TeenBeat Records (TB14), (10/31/1987) LP
- Twister, TeenBeat Records (TB23), (09/09/1988) CS
- Malcom X Park, TeenBeat Records (TB21)/ Caroline Records, (10/31/1988) LP/CS
- Live at DC Space with Dustdevils, Easy Records (Easy 6)/ TeenBeat Records (TB41), (02/15/1990) CS
- Kustom Karnal Blackxploitation, TeenBeat Records (TB21)/ Caroline Records, (04/06/1990) LP/CS
- Imperial F.F.R.R., TeenBeat Records (TB77)/ Caroline Records/ No.6 Records/ Guernica, (03/16/1992) LP/CD/CS
- Perfect Teeth, TeenBeat Records (TB119)/ 4AD, (03/16/1992) 7" Box Set/LP/CD/CS
- Fuck Pussy Galore (& All Her Friends), TeenBeat Records (TB67)/ Matador Records, (12/13/1993) CD/CS
- B.P.M., TeenBeat Records (TB175), (06/20/1995) LP/CD/CS
Singles and EPs
- Unrest, TeenBeat Records (TB07), (11/07/1985) 7"
- Catchpellet, TeenBeat Records (TB28), (03/01/1989) 7"
- Cherry Cherry, TeenBeat Records (TB49)/ Hemiola Records, (03/11/1991) 7"
- Yes, She Is My Skinhead Girl, TeenBeat Records (TB42)/ K Records (IPU 17), (03/16/1991) 7"
- A Factory Record, TeenBeat Records (TB63)/ Sub Pop Records, (04/08/1991) 7"
- Bavarian Mods & Other Hits, TeenBeat Records (TB84)/ Homestead Records, (01/27/1992) 7"
- Isabel Bishop E.P., TeenBeat Records (TB70)/ 4AD, (07/21/1992) 7"/12"/CD
- Cath Carroll E.P., TeenBeat Records (TB105)/ 4AD, (06/23/1993) 7"/12"/CD
- So Sick, TeenBeat Records (TB98), (08/23/1993) 7"
- Stereolab & Unrest with Stereolab, TeenBeat Records (TB121), (10/13/1993) split 7"
- Make Out Club (Remix), TeenBeat Records (TB126c/d), (12/17/1993) 7"
- Animal Park E.P., TeenBeat Records (TB126c/d), (02/23/1994) 7"
- Extremism in Defense of Liberty is No Vice, TeenBeat Records (TB01), (02/23/1985) CS
- The Trouble with Harry, TeenBeat Records (TB11), (01/25/1986) CS
- Teenbeat 50, TeenBeat Records (TB50)/ Matador Records, (11/12/1993) CD/LP/CS
- "Afternoon Delight: Love Songs From Sub Pop," Sub Pop (1992)
- The Machines: Simple Machines 7"s (1990-1993), Simple Machines Records (SMR19), (1994)
- 1977 Ford Ltd Country Squire, TeenBeat Records (TB20), (06/19/1988) Station Wagon
- Metal CD Jewel Box, TeenBeat Records (TB26), (12/27/1988) CD Case
- 11 X 17 Poster, TeenBeat Records (TB32), (05/18/1989) Poster
- Invoking Osiris, TeenBeat Records (TB34), (11/06/1989) T-shirt
- Live at The Tube Bar, TeenBeat Records (TB43), (09/20/1990) T-shirt
- Imperial F.F.R.R., TeenBeat Records (TB78)/ Caroline Records, (10/11/1991) Ceramic Mug
- Cherry Cream On, directed by James Brummel (TB74), (01/04/1992) Film Shoot
- Imperial F.F.R.R., TeenBeat Records (TB72), (01/31/1992) T-shirt and Poster
- Unrest and Teenbeat Agreement with 4AD Records, TeenBeat Records (TB107), (05/04/1993) Contract
- Perfect Hairdo, TeenBeat Records (TB108), (06/09/1993) Unbreakable comb
- Perfect Teeth, TeenBeat Records (TB118), (10/18/1993) Adhesive sticker
- Wakefield: Teenbeat Book of Numbers