The United Norwegian Lutheran Church of America
was the result of the union formed in 1890 between the Norwegian Augustana Synod
(1870), the Conference of the Norwegian-Danish Evangelical Lutheran Church of America
(1870), and the Anti-Missourian Brotherhood
(1887). The church merged in 1917 to what became the Evangelical Lutheran Church
later to be the American Lutheran Church
and today the ELCA
In 1897, a group of churches left the UNLC and formed the Lutheran Free Church. In 1900, another group of churches left to form the Church of the Lutheran Brethren of America.
Some sources give the church's name as "in America" instead of "of America"
- Eugene L. Fevold, The Lutheran Free Church: A Fellowship of American Lutheran Congregations 1897-1963 (Minneapolis: Augsburg Publishing House, 1969)
- Todd W. Nichol All These Lutherans (Minneapolis: Augburg Publishing House, 1986)
- Nelson, E. Clifford, and Fevold, Eugene L. The Lutheran Church among Norwegian-Americans: a history of the Evangelical Lutheran Church (Minneapolis: Augsburg Publishing House, 1960)