USS Permit (SSN-594)
|Ordered:||27 January 1958|
|Laid down:||1 May 1959|
|Launched:||1 July 1961|
|Commissioned:||29 May 1962|
|Decommissioned:||23 July 1991|
|Stricken:||23 July 1991|
|Displacement:||3700 tons surfaced, |
4300 tons submerged
|Length:||278 feet 5 inches|
|Beam:||31 feet 7 inches|
|Draft:||25 feet 2 inches|
|Armament:||four torpedo tubes; SUBROC|
|Complement:||105 officers and men|
The contract to build her was awarded to Mare Island Naval Shipyard on 27 January 1958 and her keel was laid down on 1 May 1959. She was launched on 1 July 1961 sponsored by Mrs. John A. McCone, and commissioned on 29 May 1962, with Lieutenant Commander Robert H. Bount in command.
She spent five weeks of trials in the Puget Sound area, and then three weeks at Mare Island for checkout of the SUBROC missile system. During late-summer and early-fall, Permit underwent shakedown in the San Diego, California, area. After final acceptance trials in January 1963, she participated in a thorough evaluation of the SUBROC missile, and on 28 March, became the first submarine to successfully fire one. During 1964 and 1965, Permit engaged in more testing and training of an advanced nature.
Permit underwent an overhaul at Mare Island during the winter of 1966. From May to July, she deployed to WestPac, and after a short stop at Pearl Harbor, returned to San Diego 13 August. She spent the remainder of the year operating in local waters.
The submarine underwent overhaul at Mare Island in 1967. During this period, her homeport was changed to Vallejo, California. By late November, Permit was ready for trials in Puget Sound, and a return to San Diego 12 December. She operated off San Diego until 22 April, when she departed for Special Operations in the Pacific, which lasted until 26 June. From 24 July to 1 October, she was engaged in another special assignment. Permit then resumed local operations off San Diego.
Permit was decommissioned and stricken from the Naval Vessel Register on 23 July 1991. Ex-Permit entered the Nuclear Powered Ship and Submarine Recycling Program in Bremerton, Washington, on 30 September 1991 and on 20 May 1993 ceased to exist.