|Laid down:||5 May 1930|
|Launched:||18 October 1930|
|Commissioned:||7 June 1941|
|Decommissioned:||4 January 1946|
|Fate:||Transferred to the Maritime Commission, 24 October 1946|
|Length:||190 ft 11 in (58 m)|
|Beam:||26 ft (7.9 m)|
|Propulsion:||two 850 hp (634 kW) diesel engines.|
|Speed:||12 knots (22 km/h)|
|Complement:||59 officers and enlisted|
|Armament:||1 x 3 in (76 mm) 1 x 50 cannon (12.7 mm)|
Carnelian was built as the yacht Trudione in 1930 by Bath Iron Works, Bath, Maine. She was renamed Seventeen in December 1930. She was then purchased by the Navy on 13 May 1941 and commissioned 7 June 1941 with Lieutenant Commander G. L. Hoffman, USNR, in command.
She was then assigned to patrol the Caribbean, and then onto other duties during the war.
Carnelian arrived at Jacksonville, Florida, February 23, 1942 for patrol duty in the Caribbean. Later based on New Orleans, Louisiana for duty escorting convoys to Galveston, Texas and Key West, Carnelian provided essential services to the Gulf Sea Frontier in its task of guarding a wide area with minimal forces. From November 1942 through January 1944, the converted yacht screened convoys, composed primarily of tankers with cargoes of oil, between Trinidad and Recife, Brazil.
After overhaul, Carnelian joined the antisubmarine training group based at Norfolk, Virginia, with whom she served until January 25, 1945. Assigned then to the Potomac River Naval Command, she was based at the Mine Warfare Test Station, Solomons, Maryland, for mine test operations in Chesapeake Bay.