Several architects had been instrumental in the building of the campus. These include Nathan Clifford Ricker, Charles A. Platt, James White, Clarence Howard Blackall, Holabird & Roche, and W.C. Zimmerman. Various campus building has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places; these include the Mumford House, Freer Hall, Evans Hall, Busey Hall, Main Library, Altgeld Hall, Round Barns, Kenney Gymnasium, Natural History Building, and Harker Hall. In addition, the Morrow Plot and the University Observatory are designated as the National Historic Landmark.
The Illini Union is the student union at the northernmost point of the Main Quad and lies on Green Street. Completed in 1931, the Union replaced the University Hall, one of the first building on the campus.
It is the center of student activities and hundreds of registered student organizations. Numerous expos, conferences, and events are held in the Union's ballrooms and facilities. There is a full-service underground food court and bowling alley as well as a university operated hotel in the upper floors.
Harker Hall underwent extensive restoration in 1992 and is home to the University of Illinois Foundation, a non-profit organization that is responsible for the fund raising effort for the University of Illinois system.
The Natural History Building marks the northeast corner of the LAS buildings and is home to several departments. The building was originally designed by Nathan Clifford Ricker and was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Additionally, the building housed the university's natural history museum with exhibits on geology and paleontology. The majority of these exhibits have been relocated to storage facilities or become part of the Spurlock Museum.
Built in 1902, the Noyes Laboratory was the largest chemistry building in the nation upon its completion. The building was designated a National Historic Chemical Landmark by the American Chemical Society in 2002.
Completed in 1899, the Davenport Hall is one of the oldest academic buildings on campus. Davenport Hall is immediately south of Noyes Lab and the Chemistry Annex. It is still labeled with its original name, "College of Agriculture," but today is home to the departments of geography and anthropology. The building was named after Eugene Davenport, the former dean of the College of Agriculture.
Foellinger Aditorium marks the southern terminus of the Main Quad, directly facing the Illini Union. Originally known as the "University Auditorium", the structure was renovated in part of the donation from Helene Foellinger of Fort Wayne, Indiana. The structure is designed by Charles Blackall, a prominent Boston-based architect specialized in theater design. It is used for stage productions, speaker presentations, and large lecture classes.
Lincoln Hall is northwest of Foellinger and is home to the College of Liberal Arts & Science, the largest college on campus. The building centers around a large auditorium, for which renovation plans are currently being formulated.
A bust of Abraham Lincoln outside the entrance to the theater has its nose polished and nearly worn away after decades of students' rubbing it for good luck prior to a test. Prior to the opening of the Spurlock Museum across the campus, Lincoln was the home of the World Heritage Museum.
In Spring 2007, llinois Governor Rod Blagojevich's proposed capital budget for the Fiscal Year 2008 called for $55.1 million for the $66.4 million dollar renovation project.
Built in 1905, the English Building was design by McKim, Mead & White, the acclaimed Beaux-Arts architecture firm in the United States. The quad side addition was designed by the state architect W.C. Zimmerman.
Originally known as "Women's Building", the building was the quarter of women's activities during the early history of the university. Among students on campus, the legend has it that a student drowned in a swimming pool and continues to haunt the building today.
Today, the English Building is home to the English department and lies north of Lincoln Hall.
Named after former Illinois governor John Altgeld, Altgeld Hall marks the northwest corner of the Quad between the Henry Administration Building and the Illini Union on the corner of Wright and Green Streets. Opened as the Library Hall, the building also served as the Law Building and now the home of the Department of Mathematics.
Designed by Nathan Clifford Ricker, the Romanesque building was the compromise between John Altgeld preference of Tudor Gothic style and the Classical architecture desired by the Board of Trustee. The tower was modeled after the Allegheny County Courthouse in Pittsburgh and the entryway after the Ames Free Library in Easton, Massachusetts. Governor Altgeld's interest in Germanic architecture had resulted in numbers of Tudor Gothic structure on the campus of Southern Illinois University Carbondale, Illinois State University, Eastern Illinois University and Northern Illinois University
Altgeld Hall is notorious for its unusual architecture, occasionally requiring students to use multiple staircases to reach the desired floor. There is a myth that the original architect, upon learning that he would be removed from the project, switched the plans prior to its construction with a design that includes 33 different levels (or floors) within the building. The bell tower on Altgeld rings every fifteen minutes and gives a short concert each day at 1PM, always concluding with the Illinois Alma Mater song. On the Friday before football games, the tower will also play the opposing team's fight song.
The Main Library is located south of Gregory Hall between Armory Drive and Gregory Drive. The UIUC libraries house the largest collection of books of any public university in the United States, reaching over ten million volumes. This number also makes it the third largest academic library overall, behind those of Harvard University and Yale University.
The Undergraduate Library (Undergrad Library) is located due east of the Main Library and west of the Morrow Plots. The library consists of two underground levels with an open courtyard in the center. It is connected to the Main Libray by way of an underground tunnel.
Smith Hall is located between the Foreign Language Building and Foeillinger Auditorium, but is off the Main Quad. The professors of voice, piano, and percussion have their offices there. The Steinway grand pianos and percussion equipment are located in this building.
The Observatory is located south of Smith Hall and north of the Morrow Plots. The building was designated as the National Historic Landmark by the Department of Interior in 1989 as the birthplace in the early 1900's of photoelectric photometry through the work of Dr. Joel Stebbins. The Observatory is the site of frequent Astronomy Open House events and houses a 12-inch refractor telescope available for student and class use.
Formerly known as PostGenomic Institute, the institute was established in 2003 to advance life science research and stimulate bio-economic development in the state of Illinois.
The Campus Recreation Center - East (CRCE) is east of Freer Hall on the Gregory Drive. The facility was open in Spring 2005 and has of activity space with an aquatic center, racquetball courts, gymnasium and a 3-lane indoor track.
While the IMPE, the main campus recreation for the Champaign campus, is under going the renovation, CRCE serves as the primary recreation facility for students.
Designed by Charles A. Platt, the Architecture Building is part of the College of Fine and Applied Arts' School of Architecture. The Architecture Building lies on Lorado Taft Drive and is between David Kinely Hall and Wohlers Hall.
Notable features within the building includes ornamental metal works by Louis Sullivan and a cast of Gates to Paradise of the Florence Baptistry. The Temple Buell Architecture Gallery (TBAG) once housed the university-owned Gregory Plaster Cast collection.
Today, the building houses college's Ricker Library of Architecture and Art, named after the first graduate Nathan C. Ricker. Today the Ricker Library contains more than 120,000 volumes and 33,000 serials, 35,000 microforms, and a small but burgeoning collection of videos, making it one of the largest of its kind in the United States. The Architecture Building is also the Home of main administrative office for the College of Fine & Applied Arts.
Originally the Agriculture Building, the building was the first building on campus by Charles A. Platt and the first planned project according to the campus mater plan.
Mumford is located north of the Temple Hoyne Buell Hall. Constructed in 1870 as a model farmhouse for the school's experimental farm, the Mumford House is the oldest structure on campus. The house was historically used as the official residence of the Dean of Agriculture, until the construction of the Davenport House on the site of today's Illini Union Bookstore. The farmhouse was named for former Dean of Agriculture Herbert W. Mumford and is currently listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The university has proposed moving the structure to the south farm, where it would house a welcome center for the College of Agricultural, Consumer and Environmental Sciences. However, such action would disqualify the Mumford House's current historic status. The structure was on the 2006 Top 10 Statewide Endangered List, published by the Landmarks Preservation Council of Illinois, a preservation advocacy group based in Chicago.
Furthermore, the building has endured substantial damage as a result of poor upkeep and neglect. Mumford House remains locked and unoccupied almost all year. The only time people are allowed inside the building is when second year architecture students carry out an in-depth building study of the structure as part of an architectural technology course. The inside of the house is completely empty, and much of the interior finishes are deteriorating due to poor heating management. In the most recent building study, the architecture students discovered that nobody had been inside the building since the previous winter, and that the heaters had been left on throughout the entire summer.
The Animal Sciences Lab is adjacent to Mumford Hall to the east on Gregory Drive and is connected to Madigan Lab.
Next door to the east of Art East Annex Studio 1, Studio 2 was constructed in 1905 at a cost of $18,000. The building was originally known as the Agronomy Building, and contained a field laboratory. The building now serves the school of Art+Design, and is undergoing upgrades similarly to Studio 1.