Design work began in December 1927. The first prototype, named Krylia Sovietov (wing of the Soviets) used three French Gnome et Rhone titanium engines. It was presented to the public on 1 May 1929 at Red Square and it went to the national flight testing, which was completed in June. In the first series 12 aircraft were built. Two of these airplanes were used with Deruluft starting from 1933 on the Berlin-Moscow service. Mikhail Gromow accomplished a European round flight on the route Moscow - Travemunde - Berlin - Paris - Rome - Marseille - London - Paris - Berlin - Warsaw - Moscow with the Krylia Sovietov, which lasted from 10 July to 8 August 1929 and generated considerable publicity. It carried eight passengers over a distance of 9.037 km, in 53 flying hours with an average speed of 177 km/h.
In September 1930 testing was finally completed, and series production was continued with only two M-17-engines of Soviet design, which provided for a higher topspeed. The official name for this model was PS-9 (пассажирскй самолёт, passaschirski samoljot = passenger aircraft). The number of built aircraft amounted to about 70 machines. Up to the beginning of the Great Patriotic War they served as passenger or staff airplanes mainly on routes in Central Asia and the Caucasus. Afterwards they were used until 1943 as transportation and medical airplanes.