The manor was given to Henry de Ferrers together with many villages in Derbyshire for his contribution to the Norman Conquest. More recently the hall and manor house have been the homes of the Coke family. Notable members of that family include George Coke and D'Ewes Coke.
The village has an eighteenth century church which was entirely rebuilt in 1712. It is one of the few English places that in March 2007 still does not have broadband access.