The Palm Treo 700wx
is a combination PDA/cell phone offered by Sprint
as an update to Palm
's earlier release of the Verizon
-only Treo 700w
. It is Palm's second Windows Mobile
- Mobile phone, CDMA model with 800/1900-MHz bands, CDMA2000 1x and CDMA2000 EV-DO networks
What you should know:
The 700wx from Bell does not support voice command over bluetooth.
Bell is not planning an update to provide support for it.
- Intel PXA272 312 MHz processor with Intel XScale Technology
- 128 MB (63 MB user-available) non-volatile memory
- 64 MB (57.5 user-available) RAM
- Removable rechargeable lithium ion battery (1800mAh)
- Windows Mobile 220.127.116.11 Pocket PC Phone Edition
- 4.4 H x 2.3 W x 0.9 D inches (11.3 x 5.9 x 2.3 cm)
- 6.3 oz. (178 grams)
- 16-bit Color 240 x 240 TFT touchscreen display
- Supports SD, SDIO and MMC expansion cards
- Built-In Bluetooth 1.2 Compliance
- 1.3 megapixel (1280x1024 resolution, JPEG) digital camera with 2x digital zoom, video camera capability (176x144pixel @ 20fps, 3gpp, mp4, mjpeg)
- Talk time: up to 4.7 hours, standby time: up to 15 days
- No integrated Wi-Fi support (Wi-Fi card sold separately)1
Microsoft Word, Excel, and Powerpoint support. It has view only access to PDF files. It can use GPS navigation but you need to buy a Bluetooth GPS accessory that retails around $100 in order to use it. It can also transfer over WMA format music using Microsoft Media Player.
The primary differences between the 700w and 700wx are:
- RAM: 64 MB in the 700wx vs 32 MB in the 700w)
- OS: The 700wx comes with Windows Mobile 5.0 AKU 2.1, where the 700w shipped with Windows Mobile 5.0.
Telus Mobility pricing criticisms
Picture messaging is disabled if user does not subscribe to a data package. Unlike non-smart phones which allow for a text & picture messaging package, when using the Treo 700wx with Telus, picture messaging is treated as data transfer. If you use the device with Telus and disable data transfer, then you lose the functionality which almost all non-smart phones have of sending and receiving picture messages. In addition, due to this imposed limitation a user is unable to send a picture to another handset and is unable to receive a picture email sent to the phone's telephone number. It is only able to receive picture messages sent to a connected email address