- for the village in Carmarthenshire, see Trelech
Trellech (occasionally spelt Trelech, Treleck or Trelleck) (Modern Welsh: Tryleg) is a village in Monmouthshire, south east Wales at , near Monmouth and the location of an archaeological site. The village is designated as a Conservation Area.
The name of the village derives from the Welsh language and means either "the town (tre) of slates (llech)" or "three (tri) slates (llech)". There are three standing stones in the village, known as Harold's Stones. There are 26 known spellings for the village, including those mentioned above which can be found on road signs at three of the six entrances into the village.
Trellech was one of the major towns of medieval
Wales, the remains of which have been subject to excavations which have continued over many years and which still continue today. It is most likely that the town was established specifically for the exploitation of local supplies of iron ore
. By 1288 there were 378 burgage plots
recorded in Trellech, which would have made it larger than Cardiff
at the time. Trellech was largely destroyed in 1291, however, as a result of a raid following a dispute over alleged deer poaching. The Black Death
struck in 1340 and again in 1350. Subsequently the ravages of Owain Glyndwr
and his men in the early 1400s further reduced the prosperity and in consequence the importance of Trellech.
Archaeological investigations at Trellech have been led since the early 1990s by the South Wales Centre for Historical and Interdisciplinary Research at the University of Wales, Newport
. There is currently some dispute over the layout and development of the medieval town and its environs. In 2005, young archaeology graduate Stuart Wilson
privately bought a field in which, he was convinced, were remains of the lost medieval
town. His interest in this field and the possibility that his hunch might be correct was the subject of a 30-minute BBC Radio 4
documentary, presented by the archaeologist Francis Pryor
, and entitled The Boy Who Bought a Field
, broadcast on 6 March 2006. The programme revealed that Wilson had apparently discovered medieval walls and yard-paving.
Places of historical interest
These large monoliths of conglomerate
stone, commonly referred to as pudding stone, are situated in a field to the south of the village. They date back to the Bronze Age
- much earlier than King Harold
. It is supposed that they were dragged to the site on logs and levered into position, probably either for seasonal information or for use at religious ceremonies. Some believe that they were aligned with the winter solstice
on with the Skirrid
mountain, also known as the "Holy Mountain of Gwent". A fourth stone, on nearby common land, was destroyed in the 18th century.
The Virtuous Well
Sometimes known as St Anne
's Well, this can be found in a field on the left of the road to Tintern
, a little way out of the village to the east.
Water from the well is alleged to be rich in iron
and has been thought to possess curative properties.
some 20 feet high, is situated within Court Farm, a farmyard to the south-west of the church. It dates back to Norman times, as the site of a small motte and bailey
There is a superstition that calamity will overtake anyone who attempts to excavate it.
St Nicholas' Church
The church is a central focal point of the village and has an elegant pointed and prominent spire
, a font
and ancient sundial
. A church
on this site, probably a wooden structure, was endowed by Kings Ffernwael ap Ithel
and Meurig ap Tewdrig
who were rulers of Gwent
in the 7th and 8th centuries. The Preaching Cross in the churchyard
may date back to this time as may the font. The present building dates from the 13th and 14th centuries. The early English Gothic
stonework has been dated to between 1225 and 1272, and that of the Decorated Gothic
up to 1350.
When the weathercock was removed from the spire in 1972 it was found to have been made in Ross-on-Wye in 1792. The original spire fell damaging the roof of the nave and a contemporary reference attributes this to "lightning and storms". In the belfry the cage housing the three bells is of a type similar to that found in others constructed about the year 1700.
At the end of the last century the church was in a very neglected state and was extensively renovated and re-roofed. The Belgian slates then in place were replaced with Welsh slates in 1961. The chancel was replastered in 1972 and painted white. During 1974 considerable further repairs were undertaken to the north and south aisles, and in 2001 the majority of the churchyard dry-stone wall was removed and rebuilt. There remains a great deal yet to be done to the building, however, if it is to be brought up to a reasonable standard.
Records are held by the church dating from 1692. A complete list of vicars and churchwardens, dating from 1359, can be found hanging by the entrance to the south aisle.
Other places of interest
The Lion Inn
The Lion Inn
currently holds many accolades for its good food and real fire pub
atmosphere. It has regular events including live music, an annual beer festival, entering a team in the local Monmouth
raft race, charity events, and a Burns night
The village is home to Trellech Primary School.
- Mathematician and philosopher Bertrand Russell (1872-1970) was born at "Ravenscroft", the country home of his parents Lord and Lady Amberley, situated between Trellech and Llandogo. The property is now called "Cleddon Hall".