The proposed system consisted of three underground routes:
These routes would connect with surface streetcar routes and radial railways.
The TRC planned had surface routes would connect between the subway routes.
The TRC streetcars were made of wood and after 1906 the basic design of their cars did not change. All but ten of the TRC cars were built in-house at their car works at Front and Frederick Streets.
Because of a narrow devilstrip (distance between tracks), later cars were built with a taper to the roof on the passing side, and car bodies were offset to the right by four inches. The idea was to build a wider car and still safely pass another car traveling in the opposite direction.
Very early on, in 1894 the TRC decided on single-end operation. Many of the early streetcars were 'open' cars, where one entered from either side of the car, but with single-ended operation, only the curb 'near' side of the car was left open. In other Canadian cities (e.g., London, Montreal), this form of open car became common. Open cars carried huge loads of people, because there were no aisles.
In warm weather, people loved open cars. When it rained, there were side curtains that one could unroll from the roof to keep one dry. When it was cold, open cars were not so attractive, so the TSR developed a 'convertible car' in which the nearside of the car could be removed in the spring, and re-connected in the fall, thus changing from an open car to a closed car.
The TRC also had a subsidiary company, the Convertible Car Company of Toronto, that built cars for systems in Mexico, South America, and Western Canada. Several large interurban cars were turned out for the Toronto and York Radial Railway.
|Builder||Description||Fleet size||Year acquired||Year retired||Notes|
|TRC||SE-ST-T - single end single truck|
|James Crossen-Cobourg Car Works (Cobourg ON)||SE-ST-M - single end, single truck|
|TRC||DE-DT-T - double end, double truck|
|TRC||SE-DT-M - single end double truck|
|Roncesvalles Carhouse||Roncesvalles Avenue and Queen Street West||1895-1921||transfer to Toronto Transportation Commission 1921-1954; still used by the Toronto Transit Commission|
|Russell (Connaught) Carhouse||Connaught Avenue and Queen Street East||1913-1921||transfer to Toronto Transportation Commission 1921-1954; still used by the Toronto Transit Commission|