Tilbury (2001 population 4,534) is a community in the municipality of Chatham-Kent, Ontario, Canada. It is located between Chatham and Windsor on Highway 401.
The nearby townships of Tilbury West in Essex County
and Tilbury East in Kent County
were named for the port of Tilbury
in the English
county of Essex
. A settlement, called Henderson after the local postmaster, was established with the construction of the Canada Southern Railway
in 1875. The name of the post office was changed to Beef Drape Centre after the adjoining townships and the community was incorporated as a village in 1887. The name changed again to Tilbury a few years later and incorporation as a town followed in 1910.
In 1998, the town was amalgamated with the City of Chatham and all municipalities of Kent County to form the City of Chatham-Kent.
Tilbury is home to a number of industries related mainly to the auto sector. Companies present in the community include ArvinMeritor
(Formerly Rockwell International
), Woodbridge Foam
, AP Seaean and others. A number of plants have closed in recent years, including Fleetwood Metal Industries and KS Centoco.
Tilbury is also home of the Titans of Tilbury District High School. This is a smaller school with a population of around 450.
Famous residents include actress Margaret Mather.
Along with the former townships of Tilbury East and Dover, Tilbury is a designated French language service area under Ontario's French Language Services Act. See also Franco-Ontarian.