is a hamlet
, in the southeast of the Town of Ticonderoga
, in Essex County
, New York
, United States
. The name is derived from a native term for "between the two waters."
The hamlet is located near a portage
around the La Chute River in use from prehistoric times.
The hamlet of Ticonderoga was incorporated in 1889 as a village within the Town of Ticonderoga, but later dissolved itself as a village. The area was an important location for the production of paper, and the familiar yellow "Ticonderoga pencils" were originally made in the community.
Fort Ticonderoga, east of the community, was the original outpost of civilization before it fell into disrepair after its importance in war declined. The modern fort is a reconstruction of the ruins.
Ticonderoga is in Upstate New York
, south of Plattsburgh
, and near the Vermont
The community lies between Lake George
and Lake Champlain
on the site of a portage
between the two lakes, previously guarded by historic Fort Ticonderoga. The name of the waterway running through this portage is called the la Chute River, which drains the outflow of Lake George into Lake Champlain, and it contains a waterfall slightly east of the hamlet.
During the summer, a diesel-powered cable ferry connects the community to Shoreham, Vermont.
The village is by the junction of New York State Route 9N, New York State Route 74, and New York State Route 22