"The Way You Make Me Feel" is a song written by American singer Michael Jackson and recorded for his seventh album Bad (1987). Produced by Jackson and Quincy Jones, it was released as the album's third single in 1987 and became another number-one hit from the album on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100. It was performed a few times on Jackson's tours and was most famously performed live at the 1988 Grammy Awards.
At Michael Jackson's 30th anniversary concert at Madison Square Garden (2001), he performed "The Way You Make Me Feel" with Britney Spears. However, her appearance was cut from CBS, replacing another concert footage with a dancer instead.
Michael wrote The Way You Make Me Feel in response to his mother, Katherine's request for a song with “a shuffling kind of rhythm."
U.S. Chart performance
Debuting at #44 on November 21
, "The Way You Make Me Feel" reached the top in its tenth week, January 23
, for one week. It was the third consecutive #1 single from Jackson's hit album Bad
. The single spent 6 weeks in the top 10, 9 weeks in the top 20 and 13 weeks in the top 40.
The single's music video
showcased Michael Jackson
chasing a woman (actress Tatiana Thumbtzen
) across the street. She falls for him after he woos her with his physically complicated dance techniques. It was the pinnacle of her career. There are two versions of the video - the regular version runs for 6:43 and the full version runs for about nine minutes. On March 27
"The Way You Make Me Feel" was re-released as part of the Visionary - The Video Singles
package. Jackson's sister La Toya Jackson
is also featured in the video.
The song was covered
by Paul Anka
on the album Rock Swings
girl duo Shakaya
also recorded a version of the song, which was released as their fourth single and peaked at number twenty-one in its third week on the ARIA Singles Chart
, remaining in the top forty for four weeks.
The song was also performed by Maria Lawson on an episode of UK Talent show The X Factor in 2005 with the lyrics altered to female point of view.
The song was parodied as "I Never Copped A Feel" by frontsteps.com. The spoof was released around the time of Michael Jackson's second child molestation lawsuit in 2003. It was also lampooned by satirist Bud Latour as "The Way You Make Me Squeal" in 1987.
The Song was also performed by Violent J from Insane Clown Posse on The Juggalo show in 1998.
- "The Way You Make Me Feel" (7" version) – 4:26
- "The Way You Make Me Feel" (Instrumental) – 4:2612" single
- "The Way You Make Me Feel" (Extended Dance Mix) – 7:53
- "The Way You Make Me Feel" (Dub version) – 5:06
- "The Way You Make Me Feel" (A cappella) – 4:30
- "The Way You Make Me Feel" (7" version) - 4:26
- "The Way You Make Me Feel" (Extended Dance Mix) - 7:53DVD side
- "The Way You Make Me Feel" (Music video)
- "The Way You Make Me Feel" - 3:50
- "The Way You Make Me Feel (Keepin' It Real)" - 3:54
- "The Way You Make Me Feel" (extended club mix) - 6:08
- "Them Other Ladies" - 3:38
- "It's a Party" - 3:16
Michael Jackson version
- Album version 4:58
- Album version #2 4:58 - Vocals turned up.
- 7" version 4:26
- Instrumental 4:26
- Dance Extended Mix 7:53
- Dance Remix radio edit 5:22
- Dub version 5:05
- A cappella 4:29
- Written and composed by Michael Jackson
- Solo and background vocals: Michael Jackson
- Drums: John Robinson
- Drum programming: Douglas Getschal
- Saxophones: Kim Hutchcroft and Larry Williams
- Trumpets: Gary Grant and Jerry Hey
- Percussion: Ollie E. Brown and Paulinho Da Costa
- Synclavier and finger snaps: Christopher Currell
- Synthesizers: John Barnes, Michael Boddicker and Greg Phillinganes
- Synthesizer programming: Larry Williams
- Rhythm and vocal arrangement by Michael Jackson
- Horn arrangement by Jerry Hey
The drums and the beat of this song bears a slight resemblance to the song Everybody Wants To Rule The World
by Tears For Fears
On the documentary "Michael Jackson's Secret Childhood" the actress from the video, Tatiana Thumbtzen, tells of how she fell in love with Michael in real life. Tatiana appeared and performed with Michael during the Bad Tour, most notably when he performed this song live.
While performing a private concert at New York's Madison Square Garden, Tatiana says Michael looked at her, and then she bit his lip as if to say "show me what you got". The two then kissed on-stage, which made headlines. While Katherine, Jackson's mother, was happy about this, Michael's then-manager Frank DiLeo was very upset. Tatiana was soon taken off the tour.
In the UK a parody was done on BBC Radio 1 by DJ Chris Moyles, this was done after playing farmyard noises on the intro, and entitling it "The Way You Milk Me, Phil"