The Ring of Troth
, now called simply The Troth
, is an American Asatru
) organization. The Troth was founded by former Asatru Free Assembly
members Edred Thorsson
and James Chisholm in 1987
. However, these men are no longer involved with the organization. The Troth claims 400 members worldwide.
The Troth is recognized as a non-profit corporation in the state of Texas and recognized by the State of New York as a 501(c)(3) non-profit religious organization. They host a yearly meeting known as the Trothmoot.
The self-stated aims of the Troth are:
- To serve as a church for the practice of the pre-Christian religion of the Germanic peoples, to disseminate accurate knowledge about its history, beliefs and practices, and to serve the religious needs of its members
- To train clergy and scholars for the practice and study of Germanic Heathen religion
- To produce publications which facilitate communication, and which educate and provide information on Germanic Heathen religion to members
- To facilitate and promote cooperation and community among non-discriminatory groups and individuals practicing Germanic Heathen religion and
- To acquire property and resources (such as research materials, facilities and land) which will further the foregoing purposes.
The Troth publishes a quarterly journal called Idunna
and also produces publications like the book Our Troth
and the Old Heathen's Almanac