The Real World: Las Vegas is the twelfth season of MTV's popular reality television series The Real World, which focuses on seven diverse strangers living together for several months in a different city each season, as cameras follow their lives and interpersonal relationships. First airing in 2002, the Las Vegas cast lived in a converted penthouse suite on the 28th floor of the Las Vegas Palms Casino and Resort. The Las Vegas season was the second highest-rated season of the series after 2002's Chicago installment. This was the fourth season of The Real World to be filmed in the western United States (after The Real World: Los Angeles in 1993, The Real World: San Francisco in 1994 and The Real World: Seattle in 1998).
The owner of The Palms Casino Hotel
, where the season was filmed, asked for production to cast exclusively people over 21 years old. Thus this was the first season in which all the castmates were at least that old.
The Palms demolished six rooms to make the hotel suite that the season was filmed in, at a cost of over two million dollars. The suite is now called the "Real World Suite", and is available for stays by guests.
During the weekend preceding the debut of the Denver season, MTV re-aired the Las Vegas season. The marathon ran November 18-19, 2006. The entire season was again re-aired on May 26-27, 2007, preceding the airing of the miniseries Reunited: The Real World Las Vegas.
Every season of the The Real World
, beginning with its fifth season, has included the assignment of a season-long group job or task to the housemates. The Las Vegas housemates had various jobs throughout the season involving the Palms Casino and Resort in which they lived, including promotional work for the night club, "Rain in the Desert", cocktail waiting, and go-go dancing
Age at the time of filming.
||RW/RR Challenges |
||Battle of the Sexes 2 |
||Battle of the Sexes 2, The Gauntlet III |
||Cut Off, Louisiana
||The Gauntlet, The Inferno |
||San Diego, California
||The Gauntlet, The Gauntlet 2, The Inferno III |
||San Marcos, Texas
||Battle of the Sexes 2 |
||Bronx, New York
||The Gauntlet |
- During a visit by Arissa's boyfriend, they attend a nightclub, where Arissa gets into a physical altercation with another female patron who calls her "bitch".
- Trishelle and Steven has an on-again-off again sexual relationship (even though Steven was in the middle of a divorce), which at one point resulted in a pregnancy scare for Trishelle (due to their seemingly utter refusal to use condoms). Trishelle later posed for Playboy magazine after the show and is one of the more well-known Real World cast members.
- On the castmates' third day in the suite, three of them (Steven, Trishelle and Brynn) have a threesome.
- Alton and Irulan begin a romantic relationship, which results in the break up of Irulan and her boyfriend back at home, Gabe. Alton and Irulan were still together by the time they both appeared on their first season of the spin-off show Real World/Road Rules Challenge, but later broke up.
- Arissa had difficulty trusting her roommates, and at times exhibited a temper. She also had a strained relationship with her family, including her mother and her uncle who would frequently call and upset her. Arissa would later pose for Playboy magazine after the show.
- Brynn experienced emotional outbursts, including one in which she threw a fork at Steven. This incident sparked major controversy in the suite, and Steven was adamant about having Brynn thrown out until they had a heart to heart discussion; showing Steven that Brynn was just like him when he was younger.
- Frank searched for love while in Las Vegas, starting with Trishelle, though this ends quickly after Trishelle makes out with Steven in front of him. He later dates a girl from out of town, but he admits cheating on her over the telephone. Frank also applies at USC and is accepted.
Reunited: The Real World Las Vegas
In 2007, the cast reunited to appear in Reunited: The Real World Las Vegas, a six-episode spin-off reunion miniseries in which they lived in the same suite they filmed the original series in. Trishelle Cannatella was the last castmember to agree to appear, assurances were needed that filming would not conflict with her schedule. The mini-series premiered May 30, 2007 and concluded on July 11, 2007.