(formerly known as TV5
) is a global television
network, broadcasting several channels of French language
TV5 started in January 1984, and was under the management of Serge Adda
until November 2004
; the new director, named on April 6
is Jean-Jacques Aillagon
, former French Minister for Culture and Communication
In 2006, TV5 underwent a major overhaul that saw the channel being re-branded as 'TV5MONDE' to stress its focus as a global network. Also part of the changes are a new schedule and new program line-up. Since 2001, 'TV5 Monde' is part of the channel's corporate name. Its Canadian operations are still branded "TV5", however.
TV5MONDE is the fourth largest global television network available around the world after the BBC, CNN and MTV.
Most of its content is taken from mainstream networks in the French-speaking world
, notably France Télévisions
networks in Canada
. In addition to international news, TV5MONDE broadcasts movies and music magazines. The number "5" in the name is the number of founding networks.
As of 2006, eight editions are being transmitted:
- TV5MONDE FBS (France, Belgium, Switzerland)
- TV5MONDE Europe (rest of Europe)
- TV5MONDE Afrique (Africa)
- TV5MONDE Orient (Middle East)
- TV5MONDE Asie (rest of Asia)
- TV5MONDE États-Unis (United States)
- TV5MONDE Amérique Latine – Caraïbes (Latin America and the Caribbean)
- TV5 Québec Canada (Canada)
- TV5MONDE Brésil (Brazil)
TV5 Québec Canada is produced in Montréal, the other seven channels from Paris under the name TV5MONDE.
- In the United States, TV5MONDE is one of several foreign-language premium channels offered by International Networks.
- In Canada, TV5 Québec Canada is a Canadian version of TV5MONDE, offering the same type of programming, plus Canadian content from Télé-Québec and TFO. This station does not air Radio-Canada or TVA programming, as both channels are already available across Canada.
- In Mexico and Latin America, is shown on satellite service SKY Latin America on Channel 277.
Asia, Australia and New Zealand
It is free to air from the AsiaSat 3S
satellite, covering most of Asia and Australasia. Triangle TV
in Auckland and Wellington rebroadcasts some news programmes. In Singapore, Starhub CableTV
service broadcasts it on Channel 44 for its digital service customers.In India, Zee Network provides this channel for it's DishTV DTH services subscribers.