is a satirical
comedy of marketing and consumerism written by Max Barry
, under the name Maxx Barry. Published in 1999
, it is Barry's debut novel.
A young marketing graduate named Scat comes up with an idea for a new product for Coca-Cola
(the main innovation is the black can it comes in and the extra-carbonation causing the can to hiss when opened). This propels him into a world of backstabbing, ladder-climbing marketers including his former roommate Sneaky Pete and 6, a beautiful and intelligent executive at Coca-Cola
and alleged lesbian that Scat falls in love with. It also sends him through repeated stretches of homelessness, constant insane demands, dire poverty, and even a brush with the Hollywood movie machine (including Tom Cruise
, Gwyneth Paltrow
and Winona Ryder
Characters in "Syrup"
- Scat--Protagonist and Recent Marketing Graduate, original creator Of FUKK.
- Sneaky Pete--Scats College and former Roommate and eventual boss.
- 6--Marketing Executive and Scat's Partner and Love Interest.
- Cindy--Scat's On again Off Again Girlfriend, Later Named Babe-a-licious
- Tina--6's Roommate and Film Student.
- @--Sneaky Pete's Assistant who is a Negative version of 6
Life imitates art
In 2006 Coca-Cola introduced a coffee-flavored soft drink called Coca-Cola Blāk
. It was first released in France in a black can. Barry commented on the similarities of this and his fictional Coca-Cola Fukk from the novel on his blog.
- 1999, UK, Viking Press (ISBN 0-670-88640-8), Pub date ? July 1999, hardback (First edition)
- 2000, UK, Penguin Books (ISBN 0-14-029187-3), Pub date ? July 2000, paperback
- Syrup at Max Barry's website