Surbiton railway station is located in Surbiton near Kingston the Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames in South London. The station is served by South West Trains, and is in Travelcard Zone 6. It is considered to be one of the finest modernist stations in Great Britainand is a Grade II listed building.
The London & South Western Railway
planned the route to go via Kingston
but due to the council's objections who feared it would have an impact on their coaching trade, the railway bypassed the town with a station just outside the town which opened as Kingston
. In 1845
, however it was decided to resite 400 m west at Surbiton
, which was little more than a farm. The Hampton Court Branch
was built in 1849
; the New Guildford Line
which diverges at the same point did not arrive until the 1885
In late 1852 it was renamed Kingston Junction, but it was changed again in 1863 to Surbiton and Kingston when Kingston railway station opened on a branch line. Only four years later, in 1867 it was renamed Surbiton. The station was completely rebuilt in 1937 under Southern Railway with two island platforms, both sheltered with Southern Railway designed canopies. The buildings were designed by J Robb Scott using art deco architecture.
Ed Davey, the MP for Kingston and Surbiton is leading a local campaign to move Kingston and Surbiton stations from Zone 6 to Zone 5.
Unlike some stations, Surbiton's ticket office is open seven days a week. And as a result commuters from surrounding areas flock to the station in order to make purchases and renewals.
The typical off-peak service from the station is:
The station has four platforms on two islands.
- Platform 1 is the main eastbound platform for services to London Waterloo
- Platform 2 also takes eastbound trains, but mostly only in the early morning and late evening. Non-stopping trains pass straight through
- Platform 3 is a westbound platform for trains to Basingstoke and the Alton Line. Non-stopping trains may also pass through here
- Platform 4 is a westbound platform for trains to Woking, the Hampton Court Branch and the New Guildford Line