The house was built in the 1660s by George Vernon, grandfather of George Venables-Vernon the 1st Baron Vernon and is notable for its fine Long Gallery, gardens and portraits of Charles II's mistresses. Inside there are a mixture of architectural styles with beautiful carvings, painting and plasterwork. The carvings above the entrance to the hall were sculpted by William Wilson. There are formal gardens with a tree-fringed lake.
The house was also used as the internal 'Pemberley' scenes in the BBC dramatisation of Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice".
The property was leased for 3 years from 1840 by Queen Adelaide, the widow of William IV of the United Kingdom. It is now owned and maintained by the National Trust. to whom it was gifted by the Vernon family in 1967. The National Trust Museum of Childhood is housed in the 19th-century service wing of Sudbury Hall. It should not be confused with the V&A Museum of Childhood, which is in London.