Strathblane (Scottish Gaelic: Strath Bhlàthain ) is a village and parish at the extreme south of the Stirling council area, in central Scotland. It lies at the foothills of the Campsie Fells on the Blane Water, north of Glasgow, east-southeast of Dumbarton, and southwest of Stirling. Strathblane is a dormitory village for Greater Glasgow, and has a total resident population of 1,811.
Historically, Strathblane was the name of a parish in Stirlingshire which comprised three villages: Edenkill, Netherton and Mugdock. Mugdock was the ancient seat of the Earls of Lennox, and to the east of Strathblane lies the town of Lennoxtown. Blanefield is a settlement contiguous with Strathblane's northwestern fringe. To the west is the volcanic plug Dumgoyne, Glengoyne Distillery and the Trossachs National Park. The West Highland Way—a long-distance trail—passes close to the village.
The Gaelic name Srath Bhlàthain translates as "the valley of the (river) Blane". The Blane itself it called Uisge Bhlàthain or "Blane Water" but has also been referred to as Beul-abhainn meaning "mouth-river" after the numerous burns merging. The stream passes over the waterfall the Spout of Ballagan which shows 192 alternate strata of coloured shales and limestone (including pure alabaster). The Blane flows into the Endrick, which, in its turn, flows westward to Loch Lomond.
A rise in population during the early 19th century was due in part to the development of a large calico printfield at Blanefield (employing 78 adults and 45 children under 14) and two bleachfields at Dumbrock (employing 67 adults and 14 children under 14) working 10-11 hours per day, 6 days a week. There is no sign of this industry in the village today which has a rural, picturesque aspect while the majority of parishioners now commute to work in neighbouring towns.
For elections to Stirling Council, Strathblane is part of the Forth and Endrick ward. The ward returns three councillors under a system of proportional representation. At the 2007 elections one councillor each from the Conservative, Labour and Scottish Nationalist Parties.
At (55.986°, -4.306°) Strathblane is situated at the southern foot of the Campsie Fells, on the River Blane, above sea level. The prevailing rock of Strathblane's hills is basalt, and that of its lowlands Old Red Sandstone. The soil is sandy in the upper part of the valley, and clayey in the lower.
The population of the Parish was 620 in 1795, the 1871 census reported 1,235 which had grown to 1,811 by the time of the 2001 census.
|Source: A Vision of Britain through Time|
The Stirling Observer dated 25 August 1921 reported the unveiling of "a monument erected in memory of those ..[25 men of Strathblane]... who fell in the Great War" by Sir Archibald Edmonstone, the Duke of Montrose. whose family seat was Duntreath Castle by Blanefield. The monument was designed by Robert Lorimer and was constructed of Doddington stone. It consists of a square base, each side being panelled to receive the inscriptions and names, a "slender shaft" rises from the base, and at the top of the shaft are four shields, the finish being a cross.
The Duke of Montrose in unveiling the monument paid tribute to the sacrifice made by those from the parish who had died for their country. He said "what the war had meant to those who took part in it, and what their sacrifice meant to those who had benefited by their death, and what it ought to mean to the people of our land as an incentive to noble and self sacrificing lives.
Strathblane Primary School is the local primary school.