Stewart Air National Guard Base is the home of the 105th Airlift Wing (105 AW) of the New York Air National Guard. The former Stewart Air Force Base is also known as Newburgh-Stewart IAP and Stewart International Airport. The military portion of this now-joint civil-military airport is known as Stewart Air National Guard Base (Stewart ANGB).
The day-to-day base population of Stewart ANGB is approximately 660 full-time personnel, comprised of both Air Reserve Technician (ART) and Active Guard and Reserve (AGR) personnel. This is further augmented on a daily basis by a fluctuating number of traditional part-time air national guardsmen. Because of the operational flying mission, most of the wing's personnel are funded for, and perform, additional military duty in either a drilling status or an active duty status far in excess of the typical ground-based reserve or national guard unit. One weekend each month, the wing's population surges to over 1,600 personnel in response to the monthly required Air National Guard unit training assembly (UTA) by nearly all of the wing's personnel.
Stewart ANGB is also host to Marine Aerial Refueler Transport Squadron 452 (VMGR-452), a unit of the 4th Marine Aircraft Wing of the United States Marine Corps Reserve, flying the KC-130T Hercules aircraft.
Accordingly, on October 29, 1941, the Stewart Field lands were made part of West Point with the exchange of the city’s deed for a U.S. Treasury Department check in the amount of one dollar.
On August 25, 1942, Stewart Field was officially dedicated as the "Wings of West Point" when 245 West Point cadets began their basic flying instruction at the partially constructed post, which rapidly developed during the latter years of World War II.
During the war, the main AAF unit at Stewart was the 320th Army Air Force Base Unit. The airfield was under the command of the Air Education and Training Command.
Stewart Air Force Base was home to the 4603rd Air Base Group, which had the overall responsibility of maintaining and running the base. Assigned to the 4603rd was the 4713th Defense Systems Evaluation Squadron, flying B-57 Canberra aircraft. The pilots and electronic warfare officers of the 4713th tested the effectiveness of the NORAD (North American Air Defense Command) SAGE (Semi-Automatic Ground Environment) system by substituting for an attacking enemy over Greenland, Alaska, the continental U.S. and its seaward approaches. The B-57s were equipped with well over a ton and a half of electronic countermeasures equipment used in attempting to jam NORAD’s various electronic defense systems.
Also headquartered at Stewart AFB was the 26th Air Division which was responsible for the aerospace defense of 6,000,000 square miles of North America, including 24 eastern states, Puerto Rico and Greenland. Stewart was also home to the First Air Force Reserve Region Headquarters, which was responsible for more than 10,000 reservists assigned to units in New York, New Jersey and the New England states.
In 1970 with the drawdown of the Aerospace Defense Command, the Air Force released Stewart back to civilian control. To the original 1,552-acre facility, the state of New York added an additional 8,600 acres, which was designated for future development as well as a 4.7-mile long noise buffer zone.
Stewart International Airport is the nation’s second largest airport in total area. The main runway is 12,000 feet long. New York Air National Guard interest in the base began in the late 1970s, leading to the stationing of the 105th Airlift Wing here in 1983 and a new base development project. Completion of Stewart’s new Guard facilities came about in late 1987.
In 1998, the United States Marine Corps became a tenant of the 105th with the establishment of Marine Air Refueler and transport squadron (VMGR) 452. The unit operates 14 KC-130T aircraft. The U.S. Military Academy also had a Army Sub-Post located at Stewart, but closed it in late 1999 after new, expanded facilities were constructed at West Point.