Definitions

Steve_Bisciotti

Steve Bisciotti

Background

Steve Bisciotti came from a working-class family in a Baltimore suburb. His parents, Bernard and Patricia Bisciotti, moved to Severna Park, Maryland, in March 1961. Bernard Bisciotti died of leukemia when Steve was 8.

Growing up, Bisciotti loved sports. His father took the children to Baltimore Orioles and Colts games. In his senior year at Severna Park High School, he played on the football team, though he has said he "wasn't much of a high school athlete."

In 1982, Bisciotti graduated from Salisbury University in Maryland with a degree in liberal arts. A year later, at 23, he and his cousin Jim Davis started Aerotek, a staffing company in the aerospace and technology sectors. Running the company out of a basement office with secondhand equipment, Bisciotti and Davis produced $1.5 million in sales in the first year. Aerotek grew into the Allegis Group, which is now the largest privately held staffing firm in the United States and 6th in the world. Biscotti's involvement in the sports business has brought more attention to his once low profile company.

Sports Ownership

On March 27 2000, NFL owners approved the sale of 49% of the Ravens to Bisciotti. In the deal, Bisciotti had an option to purchase the remaining 51% for $325 million in 2004 from Art Modell. On April 9, 2004 the NFL approved Steve Bisciotti's purchase of the majority stake in the club.

One of the first projects Bisciotti directed as owner of the Ravens was to build the team's state-of-the-art training and practice facility, which opened in October 2004.

Bisciotti is currently the third youngest owner in the NFL (after 43-year-old Daniel Snyder and 46-year-old Randy Lerner).

Other Notes

Bisciotti is a board member for both Catholic Charities and Mother Seton Academy. He and his wife Renee (Foote) have two sons, Jason, a college junior, and Jack, a college sophomore. The family lives on the Severn River in Maryland.

References

  • http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/baltimoreHistory.jsp
  • at baltimoreravens.com

Search another word or see Steve_Bisciottion Dictionary | Thesaurus |Spanish
Copyright © 2014 Dictionary.com, LLC. All rights reserved.
  • Please Login or Sign Up to use the Recent Searches feature