Stapleford Tawney a civil parish in the Epping Forest district of Essex. It is located approximately 5 km (3 miles) WSW of Ongar and 11 km (7 miles) north of Romford. It covers an area of 670 hectares and had a population of 103 in 2001, making it the least populated parish in the district. The arithmetic population density is 15.4 per km2.
The parish is long and narrow, extending roughly three miles from north to south but is generally only about a mile wide for much of its length. Its southern boundary is formed by the River Roding
, while a stream flowing into it forms much of the parish’s western boundary. The land rises quite steeply from below 30 metres where the Roding flows into Theydon Mount
to above 90 metres in the extreme north, much of the parish being above the 60 metre contour.
Unsurprisingly for such a sparsely populated rural parish, there is no village or single focus of settlement. Individual farms and houses are scattered throughout the parish. Land use is mostly agricultural. The M25 motorway cuts through the southern tip of the parish.
Historically Stapleford Tawney was included in the hundred
. It formed part of the Ongar Rural District
Council from 1894 until that authority was absorbed into Epping and Ongar Rural District
Council in 1955. Following local government reorganisation in 1974 it became part of Epping Forest District Council.
Electricity was first connected to the parish in 1932 and most of the parish was supplied with water by Herts. and Essex Waterworks Co. in 1949.
The parish was more populous in the past than at present. The peak was in the Victorian period
|| Population |
|| 196 |
|| 350 |
|| 153 |
|| 103 |