Rodgers & Hammerstein's South Pacific, is a television production, directed by Richard Pearce in 2001. An ABC production starring Glenn Close, Harry Connick Jr. and Rade Serbedzija.
was filmed primarily in Australia
, with some scenes shot in Moorea
, an island close to Tahiti
. Sixteen songs are featured in the movie. This version omitted the well-known song "Happy Talk", although not for "politically correct" reasons as has been rumored, and cut the even more popular song "Bali Hai" in half. Several new scenes, such as Nellie and Emile's very first meeting at the officer's club, were added, and a new character was created to serve as Nellie's best friend and confidante. The sex scenes between Liat and Lt. Cable were also dealt with more frankly than in the original. The film was harshly criticized by some because the order of the songs was somewhat changed, despite the order already having been altered when the original stageshow was converted to film, and because Rade Serbedsija, who played Emile, does not have an operatic singing voice, as have all other "Emile"s before him. Unlike the movie version of The Sound of Music
, the structure of this South Pacific
was said by some to be damaged because of the change in the order of the songs. In the stage original and in the 1958 film, for instance, the song "Twin Soliloquies" expresses musically what Emile and Nellie do not actually say to each other and leads to Emile's "Some Enchanted Evening", sung only a minute later. In the television version, however, the two songs are sung in two entirely different scenes.
was released on August 28
- Special features include
- Deleted scenes
- A behind-the-scenes look at the making of the movie
from the TV production was released on March 20
- "There Is Nothin' Like A Dame"
- "A Cock-Eyed Optimist" - Glenn Close
- "Bloody Mary"
- "Bali Ha'i"
- "Twin Soliloquies" - Glenn Close
- "Some Enchanted Evening"
- "Younger Than Springtime" - Harry Connick Jr.
- "I'm Gonna Wash That Man Right Outa My Hair" - Glenn Close, Ilene Graff
- Some Enchanted Evening (Reprise) - Glenn Close
- "A Wonderful Guy" - Glenn Close, Ilene Graff
- "This Nearly Was Mine"
- "You've Got To Be Carefully Taught" - Harry Connick Jr.
- "Honey Bun" - Glenn Close, Ilene Graff
- "Finale Ultimo" - Glenn Close
- "My Girl Back Home" - Glenn Close, Harry Connick Jr.