Electrification of the MDR's tracks took place between 1903 and 1905 with electric trains replacing steam trains on the Hounslow branch from 13 June 1905. Piccadilly Line services, which had been running non-stop through the station since January 1933, began serving South Ealing from 29 April 1935. From this date, the branch was operated jointly by both lines until District Line services were withdrawn on 10 October 1964.
In 2006, the station was refurbished at platform level, providing new signage, passenger shelters, security equipment and public address system.
The centres of the platforms at South Ealing and Northfields are only 0.25 miles apart and are therefore the closest pair of open-air stations on the LU network.