The Sopwith Gnu was a 1910s British touring biplane designed and built by the Sopwith Aviation Company of Kingston-upon-Thames. It was one of the first cabin aircraft designed for civil use.
Design and development
Designed for the post-war civil market, the Gnu
was a conventional equal-span biplane. It had an open cockpit for a pilot with seating for two passengers under a hinged and glazed roof. Most of the aircraft were powered by a 110hp Le Rhône
rotary engine. The enclosed passenger cabin was cramped and unpopular and most production aircraft had an open rear cockpit. One prototype and twelve production aircraft were built. A post-war slump ended production and the company had problems selling the aircraft although two aircraft were sold in Australia.
The United Kingdom based aircraft were mainly used to provide joy-rides in the early 1920s. Two aircraft that were used for exhibition and stunt flying in the late 1920s both crashed. Most of the production aircraft were not sold and were dismantled, including four aircraft that remained unsold when the Sopwith Aviation Company folded in 1920. Two Australian aircraft were used by Australian Aerial Services Limited on the Adelaide
to Sydney mail route
- A.J. Jackson, British Civil Aircraft since 1919 - Volume 3, Putnam, London 1988, ISBN 0 85177 818 6
- The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Aircraft (Part Work 1982-1985), Orbis Publishing.