Occupied by the Radcliffe family from 1335-1498, it then became the seat of the Barton family until the 1660s. Later occupied by the Belasyse family until 1723, it was then bought by Joseph Byrom, and home to his descendants until 1801. The Ainsworth family then bought Smithills Hall and lived there until 1938; having grown extremely wealthy in the cotton bleaching industry, they employed George Devey to carry out extensive restoration and extension works. In 1938, George Ainsworth sold Smithills Hall to Bolton Corporation; the property is still owned by Bolton Metropolitan Borough Council and is open to the public.
'Rival' Riches for All Tastes; City Lights, Quaint Canals, Peaceful Moors - Manchester Has Hidden Treasures Just Waiting to Be Discovered
Nov 25, 2006; Byline: By IAN CLARKSON As the rhetoric continues to pour forth from both Birmingham and Manchester as to who is the 'Second...