The Borough is currently divided into fourteen wards of which thirteen elect three members and one returns two. The area was last re-warded in 2004.
Some other parishes, now wholly or partially in the present Borough, were also part of the Eton Union. Langley Marish, to the east of Upton-cum-Chalvey, elected two Guardians in 1835. Wexham to the north had one representative on the Board, as did Stoke Poges (to the north-west), Farnham Royal and Burnham (both to the west).
In 1894, with the establishment of civil parishes and Urban District Councils, Upton-cum-Chalvey was for civil purposes reduced to the part of the traditional parish not then included in Slough (approximately the modern Chalvey ward). It continued to send two members to the Board of Guardians, who also served on the Eton Rural District Council (the part of Eton Union not included in an Urban District Council), until the area was incorporated in Slough Urban District in 1900.
The Slough Urban District area elected two members of the Board of Guardians from 1894 until 1901, when the expanded Urban District returned four Guardians. In 1907 Slough was given six seats on the Board. This representation continued until 1930, when the poor law Unions and Boards of Guardians were abolished and their functions transferred to County Councils.
Following the expansion of Slough in 1930-1931 (incorporating approximately the modern Baylis & Stoke ward to the north and the modern Farnham, Haymill, Cippenham Green and Cippenham Meadows wards to the west) the Urban District (from 1938 the Municipal Borough) of Slough continued to be represented in the County Council until the reorganisation of local government led to the abolition of the first Buckinghamshire County Council in 1974.
Buckinghamshire County Electoral Divisions in Slough 1889-1974
Upton-cum-Chalvey civil parish elected an eleven member Parish Council, which administered the area until the merger with Slough in 1900. The western part of the Langley Marish area (the whole of which is now approximately the three wards of Foxborough, Kedermister and Langley St Mary's) was also incorporated in the expanded Urban District. The rest of Langley was not added to Slough until the 1930-31 boundary changes.
Berkshire County Electoral Divisions in Slough 1973-1998
The parishes of Britwell (the north-west of the Borough, forming part of Britwell ward) and Wexham Court (in the north-east of the Borough, comprising part of Wexham Lea ward) were incorporated in Slough from 1973.
The parish of Colnbrook with Poyle, in the east of the Borough, was the last addition to the Slough local government area from 1 April 1995. The parish and the borough ward of the same name have identical boundaries.
The Slough Council election, 1997 was a whole Council election for a new authority. It was the 114th Slough General local authority election (including both elections by thirds and whole Council elections).
Fourteen members (who received the highest vote in each ward) were elected for a full four year term, fourteen members (who finished second in each ward) were to serve for three years and the remaining thirteen Councillors (who had finished third in all the wards except for the two member Colnbrook with Poyle ward) were given two year terms.
The 1997 election took place at the "wrong" point in the normal Borough election cycle. Special arrangements were needed to preserve the usual pattern of a third of the Council being elected for four year terms in each of the non County Council election years. 1997 was a year when English County Council elections took place. To put Slough back on the normal election cycle it was intended that Councillors elected in 1999, 2000 and 2001 should serve three year terms and their successors be elected for four years. This plan was disrupted by the re-warding of Slough.
The whole Council election in 2004 (which followed the re-warding of the town as proposed by a report to the Electoral Commission of June 2002) was the 120th Slough General local authority election. The 121st election took place on 4 May 2006, electing a third of the Council for a four year term.
|Party in control||Years|
|1863 - 1946|
|No overall control||1946 - 1952|
|Labour||1952 - 1955|
|No overall control||1955 - 1956|
|Labour||1956 - 1967|
|Conservative||1967 - 1972|
|Labour||1972 - 1976|
|Conservative||1976 - 1979|
|No overall control||1979 - 1983|
|Labour||1983 - 2004|
|No overall control||2004 - 2008|
|Labour||2008 - present|
|Election Results 1997-2008|
|4||4 (6)||3 (8)||1 (7)||1 (6)||4 (6)||9||1 (5)||3 (7)||3 (6)|
|34||9 (32)||6 (26)||12 (27)||10 (27)||6 (26)||15||8 (18)||7 (19)||8 (23)|
|0||0 (0)||1 (1)||0 (1)||0 (1)||1 (1)||6||1 (5)||1 (4)||1 (3)|
|3||1 (3)||4 (6)||1 (6)||3 (7)||3 (8)||11||3 (13)||3 (11)||3 (9)|
|Total Seats||41||14 (41)||14 (41)||14 (41)||14 (41)||14 (41)||41||13 (41)||14 (41)||15 (41)|
Note: The 1997 and 2004 elections were for the whole Council. For other elections the overall total, after the election, is given in brackets.