Sloane Maternity Hospital was founded in 1886 based upon a donation from William D. Sloane and his wife, Emily Thorn Vanderbilt Sloane, the granddaughter of Cornelius Vanderbilt, to Columbia P&S. It was the first hospital in New York devoted to women's healthcare. It was located on the P&S campus in Midtown Manhattan at Amsterdam Avenue and 59th Street, serving as a teaching facility for P&S students, and opened its doors in early 1888. It soon established a reputation for superior sanitary practices and low mortality rates; it also linked obstetrics with gynecology, the first hospital in the country to do so. The facility changed its name to Sloane Hospital for Women in 1910. In 1911, a new surgical building was added, also funded by the Sloanes. In 1925, it became part of Presbyterian Hospital, which was operating in affiliation with P&S. During 1928, it moved to its present location on 168th Street in the Washington Heights area of northern Manhattan. There it maintained its branding while occupying several floors of the Presbyterian Hospital building.
In February 1915, an outbreak of typhoid occurred among twenty-five nurses and attendants in the hospital, two of whom later died. The outbreak was later traced to Typhoid Mary, who had violated an agreement she had made with the city not to return to the cooking profession.
OPENING OF THE CARMEN AND JOHN THAIN CENTER FOR PRENATAL PEDIATRICS AT NEWYORK-PRESBYTERIAN/ COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY MEDICAL CENTER'S MORGAN STANLEY CHILDREN'S HOSPITAL AND SLOANE HOSPITAL FOR WOMEN WILL CHANGE HOW PRENATAL CARE IS RECEIVED ONE OF THE NATION'S TOP-RANKED MATERNAL-FETAL MEDICINE PROGRAMS FOR HIGH-RISK PREGNANCY AND PRENATAL DIAGNOSIS AND TREATMENT TO BE HOUSED IN NEW CENTER DEDICATED.
Sep 23, 2010; NEW YORK, NY -- The following information was released by NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital: Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia...