The Sisters of the Holy Cross (CSC)
headquartered on the same grounds as Saint Mary's College
, Notre Dame, Indiana
, is one of three Catholic congregations
of religious sisters
which trace their origins to the foundation of the Congregation of Holy Cross
by the Blessed Father Basil Anthony-Marie Moreau, CSC
, at Le Mans
. The other two congregations of religious women in the tradition of the Holy Cross Family are the Marianites of Holy Cross
) and the Sisters of Holy Cross
For a history of the foundation of the four congregations of Holy Cross, see the Congregation of Holy Cross.
For a history of the Sisters of the Holy Cross, see the Sisters of the Holy Cross History.
The Sisters of the Holy Cross are represented in the following countries (with their year of first arrival in parentheses):
- 1844: Saint Mary's College, Notre Dame, Indiana
- 1868: Academy of the Holy Cross, Kensington, Maryland
- 1875-1969: College of Saint Mary-of-the-Wasatch, Salt Lake City, Utah
- 1935-1973: Dunbarton College of Holy Cross, Washington, D.C.
- 1947: Colégio Santa Maria (São Paulo), São Paulo, Brazil
- 1950: Holy Cross Girls' High School (Dhaka), Dhaka, Bangladesh
- 1950: Holy Cross College (Dhaka), Dhaka, Bangladesh
- 1952-1972: Cardinal Cushing College, Brookline, Massachusetts
, the Sisters of the Holy Cross have served others in need. We have a long and varied history of ministry in the United States
and South America
- 1841 Congregation founded by Rev. Basil Anthony Moreau, CSC.
- 1843 Four sisters arrive in Indiana
- 1861 Sisters are operating schools and orphanages throughout the eastern half of the United States
- 1862 Sister nurses board the Union Navy hospital ship Red Rover, becoming the forerunners of the U.S. Navy Nurse Corps.
- 1927 Sisters return to Bangladesh (after previous ministries in 1853-1876 and 1889-1896)
- 1947 Sisters begin ministry in Brazil
- 1967 Sisters begin ministry in Uganda
- 1974-97 Sisters minister in Tiberias, Israel
- 1982 Sisters begin ministry in Peru
- 1983 Sisters begin ministry in Ghana
- 1987 Sisters begin ministry in Mexico
- 1993 Sisters open a house of spiritual study for Holy Cross sisters in India